Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Millenium Crashing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimp178

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2001
GB
Iam using Windows millenium with P3 with 768 ram and am having real problems with Solid works hanging up, it sems to run ok but sometimes when I try to open a file or insert to an assemble I get the black sceen. I notice that I sometimes get a error message Spash not responding. Any sollutions to this problem greatly recieved.Iam now using SP2.0 but this problem has happened with SP0 and SP1.2

Thanks in advance Jimp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get rid of Win ME!! [flush]

ME, 95, and 98 are all horrible memory managers. Windows NT, 2000, or XP is the only to go. I can almost guarantee your Black screens will go away. I have W2K at home and think can only recall one crash that I have had with SW running. All other crashes I have had is when I'm running a game.

I hope this helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

I agree with Scott. I have ME at home. Lately it has been locking up after being in Word for a couple of hours. I do not use SW at home much, but if ME is locking up in MS Word I can only imagine what kind of problems I would run into with SW. I will be upgrading my home PC to XP soon. BBJT CSWP

Same here!

I was running SW on Windows ME and had thousands of problems. After I purchased and installed W2K never had a single problem. I have W2K for 10 months now and it never crashed, with or without SW.

Andrew

If you have to use win Me, use a program called rambooster, available on for free (in the download software section) this helps free up unused RAM, that might be allocated to a program but is not being used* and help the system stop crashing. Set the default RAM optimisation for 50% and to kick automatically below 5%, this does help cut down on the number of crashes, as I have had Win Me for a year, with CAD programs running (a nightmare!) and two months ago I changed to WIN 2000, Never had any problems, it is worth every penny.

John

* If RAM is not being used Win Me assumes it is available and allocates it to another program, which causes programs over lapping each other and therefore crashes

Scott,
I hate Win ME, too. I have it on my home system. Can I install W2K over it [ie, Upgrade] without having to reinstall all my software?

Crashj 'wincrashes a specialty' Johnson

I have tried and cried doing this Snowcrash, but what I have done sucessfully is install win 98 (same as WIN Me) and W2K on the same machine but one has to install teh same programs twice as W2K and Me are 2 different types of programs.
If you just want to put in the W2K CD and auto install I highly recommend AGAINST it. Install a fresh copy, I have been there and have suffered!

If you want help post here again and I will do my best to help out.

John

I have heard too many bad things about "upgrading". For the little extra effort of reinstalling all of your applications, I would suggest starting with a good 'ol FDISK. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

SnowCrash,

Sorry for my delayed reply. My computer recently had some major hardware failures and I just go my computer back today. (Went out Sept 25).

Presently Im running Win ME right now. Im getting rid of it today and going to Win 2000 ASAP. But I am first going to try to get so that I have both OSes on this system and so I can choose which OS I want to use. If I can't figure out how to do that Im just going to format C: and reload Win 2000 by itself.

So my suggestion to you is either try the way I described above or...make lots of backups and format C: and load Windows 2000. Cause like DSI pointed out I have never had a good experience in doing an upgrade like that. Besides you should always make backups of important data. Because if you do try an upgrade and it doesn't work and you haven't backed up...you will be SOL and have to reformat it anyhow.

I HTH and GL! Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]

*When in doubt always check the help*

I forgot about this, (Just found it today) but Win ME requires an FAT32 files system and Win2K requires a NTFS File system. So Win 2000 and Win ME can not co-exist on the same drive. If you have a Partition you could have one on C: and the other on D:.

I formatted my C: and I just reinstalled Win2000. Everything seems to be fine as far as I can tell so far.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]

*When in doubt always check the help*

Installed SW2001, running Win98SE, 512Mgs ram, 1.3 Ghz AMD processor, PV-S03A AGP card has 32 Mgs on board ram. System crashes when booting SW. Only way to run SW is in safe mode or with screen set to 16cols @ 640x480...yuuukk!! Seems to be a conflict with graphics card. Any clues how to get around this

Any AMD processor 400mhz and above is a K-62 and shouldn't require the patch from AMD. Anything below 400mhz is a K-6 and does require the patch. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

I have a HP Pavilion with ME. I have been told I cannot use any other system. Any one else solve this. Millenium is a nightmare.
Thanks
Kevin

Thanks for all you help. I loaded 2000 profesonal a month ago and my machine has not crassed once, brfore it was up to 6 times a day, so dump ME or 98 and move to 2000 if you are using Solid works 2001 plus.
2003 in 3 weeks great!

Thanks again Jimp

I have been running SW2001+ on a Win '98 SE machine for the past three and a half months and have had numerous crashes, and it always seeems to happen just after you've cracked a problem that you've been working on for the last few hours, especially in assemblies, doesn't it?!

Are there any major differences in running 2k or Xp editions or are they similar in performance for Swx?

Thanks all.

David

The quick answer, anything is better then WIN 98 /Me.

I use W2000 and I have had no problems with SW2001. as for XP I cannot comment as I have no experience with it. I would think it is the same because XP is built on the NT platform of which W2000 is the most recent version.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back