Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows7-64Bit problem in running multiple NX releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugiismart

Dec 14, 2005
TR
I recently changed my op system from XP-64 Pro to Win7-64 Bit Home Premium ...

In my old system I used to have NX4, NX5 and NX7 , operating perfectly.
Since Win7 installation urges a clean start, I did re-download NX4 , NX5 and NX7.5 ...

My observations :

- No hope for NX4 , ugs_licensing routine fails ..

- NX5 (64Bit) runs ok , if it is the only release downloaded ..

- NX7.5 (64 bit) same as above

- If you download nx5 AND nx7.5 only nx7.5 works .. nx5 terminates with the message :"unknown license error". To overcome this problem you need to install license manager of nx5 again , but this time NX7.5 fails !

My assumption is that Windows-7 , 64Bit , Home Premium is preventing running multiple NX releases for a strange reason. These combined versions were running under Win XP 64Bit Pro ...

Any suggestions ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the NX4 license service:

1. Copy all NX4 license server setup files to local hard disk.
2. delete lmgrd.exe from that copy
3. copy lmgrd.exe from the NX7.5, NX7, NX6 or NX5 flexlm install in to the local setup of the NX4 from above
4. select lmgrd.exe and goto properties using MB3.
5. check the run with Administrator privilege button.
6. Run the setup using your local copy files.

For NX5 & NX7.5, install only the NX7.5 license service with a NX7.5 license file. Then when you can install NX5 and NX7.5 and when it prompts for a license, make sure the entry is 28000@licenseserver

Win7 home premium isn't supported but that doesn't mean it won't run. GTAC won't help you to make it work.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5

Note that I'm currently running the last MR for all UG/NX releases since UG V16.0 on my Windows 7 laptop with no problems, but as Tony pointed out, you have to have the most recent license server installed along with the most license sheet, in this case, NX 7.5 (and in the case of pre-NX 5.0, you need to have the old server installed as well and a valid NX 4.0 license sheet). But once set up as described above, you should be good to go until the next version of NX is released and then you have to update at least the license sheet and perhaps even the license server software, as was required when upgrading to NX 7.5.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back