Winds loads on building with a grating roof 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmw1

Structural
Oct 12, 2010
US
All,
Does anyone have any information regarding how a building with solid walls and an open grating roof should be classified with regards to being "enclosed" or "partially enclosed" per ASCE 7. If classified in strict accordance with the code this would not be a partially enclosed building since there are no openings in any walls.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like you'd treat it just like a "normal" building and apply the wind forces as they are calculated.

Then, when applying the roof uplift forces, you now have very little surface area in which to apply the pressure -

The Code is not very useful in odd situations, like this. I'm with JAE on this. I would treat it as fully enclosed, applying to appropriate wall pressures to the walls. The roof pressures would be a like different. The grating will still pick up wind from the side, so your lateral load on the roof would probably be close to as high as a solid roof, and I would apply the full lateral load as if solid. But perpendicular to the grating, the pressure would apply only on a small area, whatever the percentage of solid vs open area the grating has.

I am dealing with a similar situtation except I don't have a roof. It is a 4 sided masonry enclosure(40'x40' plan, 18' tall) built on the last floor of a building. The room itself does not have a roof. Same issue....it does not meet the requirements of a partially enclosed or open structure. I'm trying to convince myself that it's not a very tall parapet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back