Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windshield Wiper Blade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason10

Automotive
Oct 4, 2007
CA
A Chinese injection molding company is planning to build a brand new rubber/silicone windshield wiper blade production line. I am involved in this project. I am totally new in this area. I wonder if anyone could tell me where I could get the formulation/technology internationally and what kind of equipment/process should be used? Or any engineering firm could help? The company is willing to pay for the information/technology.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most companies do it the other way around. Technology drives manufacturing. Usually people prefer to keep it to themselves while they can. Good luck.

On the equipment side you will need:

1. Intermix-type mixer.
2. 2x mills sized to fit with the mixer.
3. Straining extruder to remove grit etc from the compounds
4. Rubber extruder.
5. Microwave and hot air curing tunnels.
6. Length cutter.

I'm in no position to help regarding the formulations used as I work for the Malaysian Rubber Board and they won't let me help other asian-based companies.

Thanks for your reply. What is the popular way to make the blade, injection molding or extrusion? Bennett, do you have any recommendation for mixer and extruder? I would like to contact them.

Mixer with intermeshing rotors - Kobe and Farrel are two manufacturers of these.

Extruder with barrier (Mailiffer, HIM) screw - Farrel, Kobe, Iddon.

No one moulds wiperblades these days - too inefficient.

Many blades are still molded, mostly in China, but even some here in the USA.

Chinese mixers do not have access to the high quality/low grit raw materials that we do, and this makes extrusion of this type of product impossible.

This is a lousy market to be in...tell your investors to look at something more profitable.

What kind of molding is mostly used? Injection molding or compression molding? Why don't Chinese mixers have access to the high quality/low grit raw materials. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back