Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wing Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

modesign

Automotive
Oct 28, 2003
GB
With the advent of reliable ,ultra small video cameras and similar screens why can they not be used instead of wing mirrors? Less liable to damage, less aero drag and possible cover of blind spots. I understand that current law does not allow them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also instead of being mounted on the A pillar, they could be small enough to be mounted on the outside front of the mud guard (fender to the yanks) in the position popular in Japan. This forward mount certainly eliminates blind spots.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

I'm guessing that "the law" in this case means that cameras cannot be used exclusive of rear view mirrors. Just a guess, mind you, 'cause I see a awful lot of realllllly big motorhome$ with rear view and side (blind spot) cameras. I'm way to poor to be allowed inside one to see for myself. ;o(

Rod

Yes the IVA mandates mirrors and they must meet the rear view parameters. It does not exclude additional devices.
If all the manufacturers think it is a good idea why is pressure to change not applied? Is there a down side?
OK Greg, Silly question as we are now looking at politicians changing law to make it better!

Mirror glass is cheap, 'high resolution', 'high dynamic range', tolerant of getting dirty. A high quality, small camera and matching screen that are as good seems expensive, so would probably be limited to high end vehicles at the minute.

If my wing mirror gets broken, I can replace it myself for the price of a round of drinks and the housing is easy to bodge with duct tape to get me home.

Reversing the question - given that it is not allowed, why should a manufacturer spend money lobbying to get this requirement changed?

Matt

Another benefit is reduced blind spot or obstruction of view as the screen can be mounted on the A pillars which in themselves unavoidable blind spots, thus removing them from blocking part of the view from the lower front of the front windows.

Also as mirrors are normally the widest part of the car, removing them reduces overall width.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

Wing cameras could make sense/ provide a competitive advantage now, if they have night vision and/or infrared sources. Use mirrors too, and leave them off when people start trusting the cameras and the regulatory barriers are removed.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Ahhh! The days long past, driving in my '50 MG-TD, top down. No visibility problems-no blind spots... even if it rained, you could stay dryer with the top down at speed than with the top UP!!! ;o)

Rod

This idea of eliminating outside mirrors gets a boost with the proposed US requirements for rear view cameras on all cars. I heard a statement that it only adds <$100 to the price of a car. I have to believe that assumes the car already has a flat screen to display camera output. I also have to believe the system will cost $1,000's to repair out of warranty. But since we can't be trusted to check the air in our own tires, it will probably become law.

My newest car already has a screen, in its $2000 nav/comm/audio system that wasn't really optional because the dealers don't order many cars without them. So the only incremental cost would be cameras and wiring.

Higher priced similar cars come with backup cameras as standard. It wouldn't surprise me to find that some of those vehicles already have inputs for wing cameras; the increment at the screen system is just a couple of channels in a multiplexer chip.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I think wing mirrors showing on a screen in the centre of the dash or console will be somewhat counter intuitive and require a glance well out of the normal line of sight.

If I where to install mirrors I would much rather have them right by the normal line of sight and in the range passed through when doing the turn the head check to double check the mirror view, ie on the appropriate side A pillars.

Also the rear view (other than reversing cameras) should be dedicated to one function otherwise when we quickly need to check rear view we may be blind due to other functions.

That involves extra screens.

Just because OEM charges thousands for an option or an accessory, that does not indicate much about the real cost other than it costs less than the charge and often a huge margin less, like $100 cost, $2000 charge. I have even seen high charges for an upgrade where the "upgrade" part has a lower cost than the std part. Electric vs mechanical exterior mirrors springs to mind. Also probably electric vs manual windows.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back