Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Winter gears 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

minjim

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2010
US
It's that season where many engineers have to go to their job site in below 0C weather. My question to you guys; where would one look to acquire good quality gloves and clothings that will keep one warm? I'm looking for expert advices here instead of asking my local department store.

I have to mention that I have poor circulation in my hands, and after wearing many gloves in life, I still can't find one that will keep my hands completely warm. I would prefer gloves with a good level of dexterity since I will be writing reports out in the field. Please advise!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fur is the best choice (rabbit, beaver, caribou, or wolf). short of that, this site has outstanding headgear:
been in -50F climate and stayed comfortable - per se. i purchased some mittens of same material with good results.

with the poor circulation, i wish you good luck in finding suitable gear. i would recommend purchasing the hand-warmers to provide further warmth.

good luck!
-pmover

I work in areas where FRCs are required at all times, which makes finding good cold weather gear difficult.

If you're going to find yourself in a job site where Nomex or other flame retardant clothing is required, find out if you can get insulated coveralls. I've got a set that are nice and warm even in 0-30°F weather. However, they are not water resistant, so you'll definitely want something to keep water and moisture away!

Also, a good set of insulated high boots will go a long way in wet/snowy/muddy job sites. You might look a bit silly, but you're an engineer anyway!

My wife has Sjogren's syndrome, and her hands are sometimes icey cold. She made a rice bag that heats up nicely in the microwave. She is now marketing this among the ladies.

Maybe you can derive a glove improvement from this: a quilted rice filled section above and below the palm that doesn't include the fingers. Microwave 1+ min. before wearing. In this syndrome it's important to get warm initially.

My only comment is a "when in Rome" type thing. Take a look at what the construction guys are wearing, this will give you an idea for what works for your particular job site. They are working in the conditions all the time so they've usually found something that works.

On a recent project it became evident to me that "Muck" brand boots are very good for wet muddy conditions. I bet that 80%+ of the guys on the job had that brand of boots.

I've found that I usually need to dress a little warmer than the crew does since I'm not moving around much.

I think that I should have read this thread before today! Fumbling with frozen padlocks at -30... brrrr! My technique for warming up - lots of hot tea :))

Naturally it depends on the type of field work that you'll be doing but generally my preference is Carhartt jackets and overalls.

While Carhartts may not be the lightest or warmest hi-tech stuff out there, it's durabilty is what makes the difference. Nylon jackets are much more apt to get snagged on a rough surface.

I prefer overalls instead of coveralls because it's easier to layer things that way. If you are getting zippered legs do NOT get the ones that go all the way up to your waist. Get the ones that have a zipper only up to just below the knee.

regardless of what type of outer glove you chose, I would also suggest a pair of surgical gloves for if you have to remove your outer glove. Won't provide a lot of insulation, but will prevent any evaporation from your hand, and help them stay warm that way. I wear some all the time when I work outside now. And tygerdawg is absolutely right as well. If you keep your core warm, your hand will stay warm. Coveralls or snow mobile suit with a hood.

I'd say move to California, no need for gloves mostly, but we have too many people already.

Best of luck in your search, I would assume all the places above would have something to fit your needs. The hunting places would probably be best since the warmth and flexibility you desire is also tops on hunter needs as well. (or fishing)

Since I don't live in a part of the world where the workforce has to dress for that type of weather, I wouldn't expect to find local sources for good cold weather gear, especially gear suitable for job sites, assuming construction or industrial sites. What I would do is go to a sporting goods store and gear up like I was going skiing. Some ski gear is generic enough or drab enough to be worn in work settings, some obviously isn't.

But they can get you fitted out with the layers and warm gloves, etc. At worst, you can wear sporting clothing and put a light coverall over it.

However, one thing. While I have never had any trouble for extended periods in sub zero Fahrenheit temperatures in ski gloves, I wouldn't think of trying to write while wearing them. You'll have to improvise there, I think.

Skiing fluctuates from sweating profusely while skiing to sitting still for long periods right after that in high winds suspended in the open air in ski lift chairs - often with long delays if someone gets hurt loading or unloading and the stop the lift.

I have always been toasty warm in the proper ski gear. A previous poster mentioned snowmobiling gear, and I would think it has to be much the same.

rmw

I'd have to vote against surgical gloves. They always get wet and slimy on the inside when I work with them, and in the cold, that translates to pretty rapid heat loss. Dry hands stay warmer. But, if your hands stay dry normally when using them, go for it.

By coincidence, my wife got a pair of gloves with microwavable inserts for Xmas. Product name: Soothing Hand Warmers. The mfr: Carex Health Brands. package doesn't show a web site. Good luck.

My father in law gave me some carhartt overalls for xmas. Definately takes the misery out of rolling around under a car in a freezing garage.

Only loosely related -

My wife bought me a travel coffee mug for Christmas that has a double chamber separated by a vacuum. It keeps coffee hot for three or four hours. Quite an amazing contraption.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

For those that use hand warmers:

If you use them inside a glove (between layers), I would suggest you use the toe warmers. They have an adhesive to keep them in place, are thinner, and are made to use with less oxygen than the hand warmers (so they get warmer in the closed up environment of the glove). I have found these work well in my ski gloves, when needed.

Swanny makes "Toaster" mittens. The have a sealed zipper that runs along the index finger that allows the fingers to come out.

I spent some time in alaska and my gloves and underlayers were all from the cycling industry. Basically the unerlayers are designed specifically for wicking moisture away from your body. You want wind protection for your outer layer, and moisture removal on your inner layer. and the middle layers are your insulation and they can be tuned to how cold the day happens to be.
A trick I learned was to cut a hole in the sleeve of my shirts right at the cuff for my thumb to slip through. Then put some stiches to reinforce it. You never have a gap at the glove/jacket from your jacket pulling your shirt back.
I had a pair of cycling socks under some wool socks, and I had 2 pairs of gloves as most people suggested. the inner gloves had great dexterity as they were thin and again were good for wicking moisture rather than for keeping warm. the outer gloves were windproof and all my fingers were in the same space. I could turn a wrench or twist a valve but if I need to write something I took off the outer glove. also had shirt, pants etc that were cycling oriented.

"I'd have to vote against surgical gloves. They always get wet and slimy on the inside when I work with them, and in the cold, that translates to pretty rapid heat loss. Dry hands stay warmer. But, if your hands stay dry normally when using them, go for it. "

If I start getting that warm I take off a layer or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back