Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiper Fluid Reservoir 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerPE

Structural
Jan 27, 2010
US
Can anyone explain to me why vehicles are designed with a windshield wiper reservoir capacity of about 3/4 of a gallon when the standard unit of fluid for sale is 1 gallon? I think all the vehicles I have owned, with the exception of my 2015 F-150 (maybe), only hold 3/4-7/8 of a jug of fluid. I fully realize that there are serious space concerns, but looking at my current vehicles (Odyssey & Yukon XL) it would appear by simply enlarging the neck of the tank, a full jug could be used at one time. I can't possibly imagine that the fluid suppliers are providing more than a gallon in a jug.

While this isn't a "real" engineering question, it is a practical issue that bugs the heck out of me every winter when I am filling up the reservoir frequently and then have a 1/8 of jug rolling around for a week or so.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it will be found that Chevrolet's Chevy II in model year 1964 was available with 4, 6 and V8 engine options. What was Australia's offering prior to 1964?

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

SuperSalad said:
Fluid mfgs. are the same people selling buns in packs of 8 and hotdogs/burgers in packs of 6
They missed the boat... obviously no serious mathematicians in their marketing departments. Otherwise they would have conspired to offer combinations of pack sizes with no common factors, such as packs of 6 buns and 5 wieners, or 9 buns and 8 wieners [lol]

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

My 1963 Impala came with the minimal inline 6, but also a V8. With the inline 6 in the compartment, I had to sit on the fender with my feet on the motor mounts to work on the carburetor; there was probably room for a 10-gallon fluid reservoir.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You fill them with water? I only do that in my tractor tires.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

2pt4b3o.gif

Keith Cress
kcress -

hemi said:
I think it will be found that Chevrolet's Chevy II in model year 1964 was available with 4, 6 and V8 engine options. What was Australia's offering prior to 1964?

Rats! Holden didn't do it till 1974 (LH Torana). I must have forgotten the fanfare of the time. Perhaps the claim to fame was "only car in the world (currently) available with 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.

je suis charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back