Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wire routing to components

Status
Not open for further replies.

teookie

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2010
US
Apologies for what must be a very basic question, but I've never had to deal with wiring before in CAD so this is new to me.

I have a small assembly with one component that moves 2 inches up or down depending on which arrangement is selected. I need to model some wiring going from fixed components to this moving component. I would very much like for the wiring to auto update it's curves and routing when the arrangement is changed, without changing it's length.

I'm 100% sure that NX (I'm running NX8.0.3.4) can do this. I just don't know how!

I've tried using bridge curves to model the path but I can't seem to get the end connected to the moving component to actually associate with the moving component. It just stays put when I change arrangements. I've started looking into the Routing Electrical features but so far I'm just getting more confused.

Whats the proper way to model wiring going to a moving component in NX?

Much appreciation for anyone willing to take the time to give me some advice.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
You can look into deformable components for this.
You can achieve the routing wire deformation using either pure modeling technique or routing electrical.
Use a spline to connect the components in modeling and then make it deformable using the deformable component definition.I am sure this forum already have a good tutorial on it.[highlight #FCE94F][/highlight]
Regards
Kapil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back