Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireframe/curve selection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin99

Bioengineer
Jun 3, 2003
GB
Hi,

I cant select curves after they have been created. For example: creating a fillet; selecting curves for an extrude; create a section. The curves highlight ok when the mouse goes over them but it will not select. If you can drag a bounding box around, like for an extrude, it works fine.
I'm not sure if it is an intallation issue as i dont know if it has worked since v9 was intalled. I know it was OK with v8.
All i can think of is a re-install, any other less drastic suggestions.

many thanks in advance.

martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the suggestion.

Still the same thing happens though. It highlights and the cross even goes up and down the curve as you move the mouse along but still will not select.

Deep in my memory i have an idea i've encountered this before and solved it by changing the wireframe view settings but cant quite remember. I wonder if it could be a graphic card problem, it is an old card.

cheers

Martin

Martin,

The graphics card would only affect pre-highlighting/etc, not the actual selection, so if you select the entity and then do a RMB listing or even a highlight, the entities should still show up. I would try that first.

If that's not the case (ie, nothing showing up in the listing), then it sounds like you may be trying to use curves that may not be supported (at least with your currently set options) by the operation you've picked (ie, I-DEAS may think they are 3D curves, when trying to do a 2D operation or the other way around perhaps, or tangent edges when trying to do a fillet, etc).

If these don't help, a more detailed description of what you're experiencing would likely be helpful...

-e

Hi,

I can pre select the lines ok but i am not familiar with the RMB listing you suggest. Dont seem to have that when i RMB. But if i use ctrl+M and bring the menus up i can select list/info entity and i get what you would expect i.e.

Part Name : Workbench_wireframe
Curve Id : 2
Line Style : Solid
Color : 7-GREEN
Coord. System : Local Cartesian
Line Type : Line Segment
Line Length : 86.64609
Start Point : -60.72320 -19.00819 0.0
End Point : 20.34304 -49.59922 0.0

I can even select the lines individualy in the normal way and not have to do a bounding box.

Still no joy with creating 2d operations. You mention additional info would help, I'm using ideas 9, what other info would help?

many thanks in advance

Martin

Well, try describing (a simple example of) exactly (like I was a 3 year old) what you are doing, and what the result is (for each step until the 'failure' occurs, and then what you are trying to do next).

Also, describe your starting point (preferably a new part, so can be duplicated). If an existing part, a brief summary of the features used and your skillset and tendancies might also help (especially related to your use of constraints/SIP/etc...).

It sounds like it could be a graphics card issue, but if this just started happening (like everything was fine until XX date/etc), then I'd tend to believe it's just a wrong (or corrupt) setting someplace (like a param file)[unless of course your model is somehow 'bad', hence the questions above].

-e

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a decent graphics card that i knew was problem free. I was still unable to select curves/wireframe geometry with the new card thus eliminating the possibilty of it being a hardware problem.
Although a bit of an extreme solution re-installing ideas corrected the problem. Luckily the team installation appears ok.

Many thanks for your help

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back