Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

wireless design (LAN segment) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wgn9953

Electrical
Sep 9, 2003
JM
I am in the process of preparing a proposal for the design/implementation of 4 segments (4 additional offices) to a companies LAN. Of major concern is a building 100ft high obstructing my Line of Sight {since the mast height at the LAN hub or Administrator is 40ft}. My intentions are to repeat around sides{rather than go high}.I would however be grateful for guidance {online documentation etc.},past research / Journal publications along the above paths of interest.

Yours
Glen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks,

i have opted to resolved the issue in the initial post by using external ethernet cabling (about 150ft), is this recomended from a wireless connected hub using a 25/50 pair cable?, if so,please assist with any sites where i can quote cost and specifications for such cable?

Yours
Glen

Just as a thought:

If trenching for cable/conduit is prohibitively expensive, you can still do a wireless link around your obstruction. Have you ever looked at Motorola’s Canopy radio ( ? The cost isn’t too bad, installation is a snap, and they have point to point 20Mbit radios. One on each end, and a back-to-back pair in the middle as a repeater. There are other manufacturers of the same style of radio, but I only have experience with Motorola’s. We have installed numerous Canopy links in our facilities to link offices that were either too far apart for copper, or we could not install fiber for what ever reason. They have served us well.
It would be worth a look if you run into issues running cable.

As another side note:
If the two facilities are not bonded (grounds), make sure there is appropriate surge protection installed if you go with copper.

Hi

Finally, i have completed the cable (cat5)run at 500 ft which extends beyond the standard for ethernet/ 100baseT. i would be grateful for tips on possible problems i can encounter, an advice on product/s (at the cable termination/ ends)that can effectively solve any grounding problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back