Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless Mouse Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

esfr

Structural
Oct 10, 2007
US
My index and middle fingers have been feeling strained from SolidWorking, and I'm particularly concerned about hand health being a working musician, so I went out and bought a Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. Didn't care so much about wireless or not, but the shape of the mouse is very big and unconventional, and supports the fingers nicely.

Problem being, clicking of the scroll wheel to rotate around the model is completely buggy... one out of every 3 or 4 tries, the middle mouse button simply doesn't respond. I've tried setting the scroll wheel button to both "Middle Click" and "Autoscroll", the only two options that seem to make sense in the Intellipoint software, and they both act the same way.

Lastly, some observations I've noticed: clicking on or near the model seems to help the wheel button respond, whereas clicking outside of the model is often unresponsive. Also, interestingly, I don't see problems with the responsiveness of the wheel button in any other programs?! So why is this happening in SolidWorks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had this same problem with my wireless mouse. It seems to respond slower than a regular mouse. It takes getting used to, but you can click the scroll just give it a second then move your mouse and the rotate will work everytime. I think that it is the mouse not Solidworks causing this issue.

Scobb

I have the same mouse you have. I really like the feel of it but as CBL mentioned you will need to disable the IntelliPoint software. I uninstalled mine and the problems associated with the IntelliPoint went away.

I also find that the wireless receiver needs to be within a few inches of the mouse pad (like 6" or less) or I have glitchy performance.

Harold
SW2008 SP2.0 OPW2008 SP0.1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually installed Intellipoint because I was having the problem and thought that it would fix it! Just uninstalled, per your suggestions, and it does seem to be slightly better... but the problem is still there. I've got the receiver about 3 inches from my mouspad, which defeats the purpose of a wireless mouse but also seems to help. Installed xmousebuttoncontrol, it doesn't seem to make the problem any worse, and it's nice to be able to program the 2 extra buttons at least.

All in all, however, I don't think I can live with this delay. In my case, even holding down the button for a good second before moving the mouse helps, but isn't a sure thing... the model frequently gets stuck and won't rotate no matter how long I hold the button before moving the mouse.

So, if anybody wants to buy a mouse, lemme know!

I recently had the same problem with the MS wireless mouse. Bought a Fellowes wireless and all is well. Further it has 5 buttons (including scroll wheel) but may not be programmable for SW. I don't want to mislead.

Could it be an issue with the mouse software thinking that your solidworks session is a gaming session? I've had that issue a few years back with accelaration and games, etc. I had to turn off detect games in the mouse software.

I doesn't sound like a wireless issue. But maybe there is an interference issue as well. A red stapler in close proximity perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back