Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless systems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy6

Petroleum
Aug 25, 2005
CA
Just wondering what the specification requirements for a wireless system that meets the operational needs of an off-shore petroleum processing platform.

Looking for details covering the functional, operational, performance, and maintenance requirements.

Such things as:
- Data reporting frequency
- Obstruction density
- How to get around obstructions that block, reflect and otherwise impede transmission of wireless signals
- Antenna location
- Report information size (bytes)
- Distance between sensors

Any information about this or where I could obtain some would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is not enough information in your question to know what you are after. A wireless sensor system? To monitor what? Temperature? Fluid Level? Occupant tracking/sensing? (i.e. open loop reporting) or processes control loop feedback (closed loop operation)?

I know the following fluid level sensors, pressure, and 4-20 mA wireless battery operated sensors are intrinsically safe, and are being used in some applications to measure the levels in portable tanks used on off-shore platforms. See

I am working with a company that is developing "Petroleum Applications for Wireless Systems."

I am looking for the specifics on wireless systems in general. Such things as Obstruction density, antenna placement etc.. all things that will give us a general idea of what hurdles we have to over come.

If someone has specifics on a wireless system that is in place about any of these areas or related areas I could really use the information or direction as to where to get it.

I'm finding if very difficult to find resources that give me these details.

Thanks,
Jeremy

(Lack of...) Reliability of the "wireless" link is going to be a tremendous issue for anything related to safety, pollution, huge stacks of money... Sounds like a non-starter to me.

The technologies that can help are spread spectrum, Forward Error Correction, diversity antennas, two-way hand-shaking like packet radio ('acks'), etc.

"Wireless" (also known as "Radio") has been around for a while and the failure modes of various bands and techniques are all very well known.

Off shore rig data will not be done by a do it yourself operation. They will hire a consultant to help evaluate the options, then hire a company to be esponsible for all those aspects you mention, and more.

VE1BLL,

That is a scary thought, but hopefully not true. There must be some important RF interference issues since all RF is so close.

The Centeron product I mentioned is a Direct-Sequence-Spread-Spectrum system in the 915 MHz band and uses a receiver with diversity antennas. It is used to monitor the level in portable chemical tanks so the distributor knows when to make a trip to refill. The normal line-of-site range for this system is greater than one mile, so there is plenty of path margin in the system to cover a oil-well platform - especially since the receiver is usually in a metal-sided room with only a few small windows for RF openings.

For simple reporting and monitoring applications, wireless is an excellent choice. Especially for tanks that may be moved frequently and sometimes replaced/swapped during a delivery. Additionally, in this application intrinsic safety is a must.

Wireless is ideal where things the items being monitored move, are widely dispursed, or it is just not pratical to put a wired-link between the points. This usually means the items are not part of a active process loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back