Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wiring diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

makeup

Mechanical
May 11, 2004
NZ
I am currently employed as a project engineer (mechanical) looking after a range of offshore cranes. I am increasingly asked to look at electric/electronic curcuit diagrams and have no idea how to really interpret what I am seeing. Can anyone recommend some good books or websites.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While a good book is great.. I recommend you get someone who is savvy in the subject to sit down with you for an hour or two and go over your various schematics with you. They can give you a much better overall picture than any book. Then what you see in a book will be much more useful.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Although I agree with the advice to seek out someone locally who can answer questions, if you need printed material, you might consider text books aimed at industrial electricians.

I suspect that the diagrams you are confronted with are more electrical than electronic in nature.
If that's true, then information written for electricians might help you more than that designed for engineers who engineer a system.

A used, 1st, 2nd or 3rd (1993) edition (now out-of-date) of "Industrial Motor Control" by Hermann & Alerich has a lot of information on motors and the control circuits for them, written to be understood by electricians.

There is a whole series of texts on specific electrical subjects published by Delmar, the Electrician's Technical Reference series. I have "Industrial Electronics" by Stephen Herman on my desk at the moment.

Delmar is at

I tend to look for used copies on half.com, ebay or abebooks.com, but you can decide how you want to acquire books.

If what you are looking at is Programmable Logic Control (PLC) circuitry, known as 'ladder logic', then the first couple chapters in a PLC text book would help. Frank D. Petruzella or John W. Webb are two PLC text authors (titles will include 'Programmable Logic Controller'). Someone's borrowed my copies so I can't quote a title for you.

Dan

Unfortunately, there is another complication - there is no universal standard for wiring diagrams. This is done quite differently in the US versus IEC countries, Japan, etc. There's even a wide variation within the US.

I believe Siemens used to have a downloadable guide to reading DIN type schematics, but I'd need a couple of beers before attempting to navigate the Siemens website to see if I find it.

If you have contacts at ABB, Siemens, GE, etc, you might see if they have any guides that they can send you.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any good on-line resources.

What do you mean by "look at electric/electronic curcuit diagrams?" Are you to approve them? What is the purpose of having you "to look at electric/electronic curcuit diagrams?"

Frankly, you need to push back NOW! Any fault in the electrical afterwards will be blamed on YOU, as will the liability. While you are probably protected by the industrial exemption, if your company gets sued, they'll dump you like a hot potato and try to find a job after that.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'm with IRstuff on this one. You shouldn't be asked to look at something you don't understand. Something is wrong with that. Typically what you would do is to get your own pet electrical type with you whilst someone is showing you the diagram. Your pet electrical type then advises you how much bull-sh*t has just been presented.

Well, it still gets back to what the outcome of your looking is supposed to be. If it's just for cultural enrichment, then yes, a book or a tutoring session is ideal.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back