wiring for class 1 div 1 environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshep7

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a question in regards to wiring in a class 1 division 1 environment. I currently have an equipment control panel rated for class 1 div 1 enviroment, and speculation has been raised about the suitability of the power cord. The plug on the cord is an abbleton class 1 div 1 rated plug, and the terminal/gland where the cord enters the panel is also class 1 div 1, but I'm not sure about the wire itself, since it is not the original wire. Does anyone know where I can find standards in regards to power cord suitability for Ex environments, or does anyone have any expertise to lend? Any help would be appreciated......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First check with the manufacture of the control cabinet. The cord cable type should be UL tested and listed with the equipment furnished.

The term power cord is VERY suspicious for a Class I Division 1 location. Read the NEC and discuss with an engineer or electrician who has lots of explosion proof wiring experience.

Also verify that the area is classified Division 1. This exists where the combustible vapor would normally be expected.

Typically a braided explosion-proof flexible fitting with seal fitting could be expected with hard-wired terminations inside the enclosure.

John

hello,

In a class 1 div 1 enviroment i have to install 4 receptacles i know the enclosures must be rated for class 1 div 1 but im not sure about devices and covers for said devices. I have very little experience in haz. locations, and the code book is rather hard to comprehend in this area. Please help.......

There are special assemblies listed for use as plug and receptacle for class 1 div 1. Try Appleton or Crouse Hinds, and be prepared to lay out the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back