Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wirless PLC switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

startermotor

Electrical
Nov 21, 2007
GB
Hello all!
I have a question, that I am sure is simple to you guys.
My understanding of PLC's is only basic, so go easy on me lol.
The question is this, can I use my mobile phone, through a PLC, to switch on and off household appliiances, like heating, washing machine, and lights etc.
Telemecanique Zelio, with remote communication module seems to tick all the boxes.
How hard would this mobile remote system be to set up?
It would be really handy to have full control of my house from my mobile.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any of the Programmable Logic Relays on the market are capable of this; the one you mentioned, the Siemens LOGO!, the Moeller "EASY" relay, etc. etc. The trick is, you need to be savvy enough to write an operating program and tie it to commands that you can execute via your cell phone using a GSM modem for the PLR. Then you need to decide on the type of transmission service you want to use:
* CSD - Data transmission via a voice channel (just like a normal modem)
* SMS - Sending and receiving short text messages
* GPRS/EDGE - packet-switching data service, usually via an internet connection.

All of this will require skills that you may or may not be familiar with. We cannot assess your competence level for you.

Thanks for your reply jraef.
I really don't have much experience on PLC's, I just understand the ladder logic princple.
All I have done is some simple stuff on a omron based program called syswin.
Could you recommend any online courses or books ?
I have looked at "scantime" online tuition, but they seem to focus alot on the omron PLC.
Unfortunatley I would need the flexability of learning at home.
A PLC sales guy has told me that PLC's are really easy to program, apparently becasue of new click and drag software, but I guess he would say that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back