Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Without providing rootface can we go with PJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadhuBR

Structural
Mar 22, 2018
IN
Hi Guys,

Without providing rootface can we go with single bevel PJP if so, is there any AWS reference.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unlikely, but it depends on your joint configuration, weld process, and material. A good starting point for you would be to look through the AWS pre-qualified welds. I don't have access to those pre-qualified welds, but looking through CSA W59 (Canadian Welding Code), it looks like the only time a single bevel with no root face will provide a PJP is in the situation shown in the attached sketch.

If you provide more info, you might be able to get some better advice.

PJP_thogio.png

mabhuBR,

There is so much you are not clear on in your post.
A weld with a root face dimension of zero would be a CJP weld.
It is possible to make a PJP weld with a Root Opening of Zero however.

I would suggest that you look in AWS D1.1 at figure 3.3, Prequalified PJP Groove Weld Details.
You will most likely find what you are looking for.

I also should have mentioned that you could do this with a backing bar and zero root face. For some reason I was thinking you didn’t want a backing bar.

Also agree with EPCI, need way more info.

OP - just to be clear on nomenclature, there is always a root face regardless of the weld type. It is the angle or profile of the root face that varies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back