Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Analysis - Store Material and Frame Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishTheStructure

Structural
Jul 22, 2011
CA
Hello,

I routinely make models with wood frame sections. I add a wood as a material and adjust the material properties to suit the wood I need. Then I use section designer to create whatever lumber dimensions I need to analyze.

What I would like to do is save my materials and frame sections that I have created to a database that I can load the next time I need them instead of recreating them every time. I know I can load/import standard sections from pre-built databases for steel sections and I would like to create my own just for wood design.

Can anyone offer advice on how to do this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the same question. So far it looks like you have to enter the materials each time. That is unfortunate.

I am thinking of just deleting the model from an old file and saving it as a template. That way you can keep adding wood types as you need them.

From the SAP2000 v15.1.0 news page/enhancements list:

"The definition of material properties has been enhanced to allow user-defined standard materials through the use of XML files. Properties are segregated by region and by code-standard within these files as well as when using the materials in the graphical user interface. New materials have been added for China and Spain."

Why not save a copy of your model, delete the structure and save it as your "template" model for the next model? That way you can save not only materials and sections, but also save load combinations and load patterns/cases too. Just open your template model and save under a new name each time.

Hello Again,

After a few more months of pondering this question I have a new approach. It is similar to the above mentioned ideas but it has a distinct advantage.

I will create a sap model with no "structural components". In this model I can define several types of wood materials with different properties (i.e. SPF, D.Fir-L, Hem-Fir, and Northern, btw I am a designer in Canada and follow the CAN/CSA-O86-01 code). I will also define some typical section properties (2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, etc...). I will then export these properties as a .s2k file. Then when I am in the middle of a different model I can import these properties on the fly without disturbing the model I have been working on.

Directions:
1. Save your model in a general location where it won't get disturbed and you can find it back if you ever want to update the properties you have stored in it.
2. Click: File > Export > SAP2000 .s2k Text File...
This opens the dialog box "Choose Tables for Export to Text File"
3. Select ONLY the "Property Definitions" check box. This will ensure that you only export/import what you intend on transferring namely the wood section properties.
4. Hit "ok"
5. You will be prompted to choose a location to save in. Choose the same location as you have stored the model so you can find it back quickly when you need to import these properties to a model you are working o.
6. Hit "save"
7. When you are working on a model and you decide that you would like some wood properties go to File > Import > .s2k Text File...
8. Choose "add to existing model" and click "ok"
9. Find the file you exported that contains the wood properties and select it. Hit "open"
10. A dialog box will open displaying importing messages and the like. Click "Done".
11. Have a look under Materials or Section Properties and find what you imported.

Hi,

I am not able to help the current issue since I am new to model wood in SAP. It sounds like you guys are experts and have done it routinely. Can someone help me define wood in SAP, i.e. how to do it? I know how to use section designer for concrete section and adding rebar. Do I just draw a 2x4, for example, and use wood properties?

Also, in material definition, do I "Add Other"? Where do I input strength parallel and perpendicular to grain? I am not lost in material definition in general for wood. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back