Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Connection Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAK.Structural

Structural
Dec 27, 2023
US
Hi All,

Need help figuring out the best way to connect a wood beam to a wood post. See attached. This is at the corner of a structure where beams spanning opposite directions meet over a column. Currently the beam spanning in and out of the page is shown through bolted to a notched section of the column at the top. The beam spanning left/right on the page is where I am having issues. Both beams are part of knee braced frames so there are some loads to resolve but I don't have any good ideas at the moment of what makes the most sense in terms of general connection scheme here.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=756a4d2b-9aac-49c5-9c4f-6b195ea4bd7f&file=Screenshot_2024-01-04_232459.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Custom steel won't be an option on this one.

SE2607 - See below, equal loads and geometry, you still choosing screws over bolts??

Screenshot_2024-01-05_190311_hh6aft.png
Screenshot_2024-01-05_190340_lpg84c.png

I am pretty anti-notch in general unless it's for timber piles. For me it seems like 50% of these connections become overnotched because of circular saws. I specify Simpson CC/CCQ column caps for almost all of these scenarios. Since one beam is dropped and one flush I'd find a twist connector to transfer any other loads down from the upper beam to the dropped beam.

And I usually want my knee braces to align into the sides of the column with Simpson KBS connectors. Do you have to have the knee braces come down into the sides of the columns and beams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back