Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wood Lag Screw Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
The Canadian wood code CSA O86 has a table of coefficients for a JG value. Does anyone know how this can be calculated? A snap of part of the table:

Clipboard01_xaeqt9.jpg

Is there something similar to this in the US Codes? maybe with a formula?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dik - calculation of C[sub]g[/sub] (the group action factor in the NDS) is on page 80/206, section 11.3.6 of the document Phil1934 posted.

Thanks very much gentlemen... it the formulae that I need. I occasionally end up with someone spec'cing lag screws and I generally stipulate that the fastener and the attachment must 'work by others' (not my monkey, not my circus)... on the last project my client's client needed some help, so I'm writing an SMath program to do this. I had no idea that lag screws were as complicated as what they are.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Wow...

Clipboard01_zr23yn.jpg

-Dik

Ya, I cannot imagine this detail for something 'so iffy'. Like masonry... statistically determine the strength to great detail and arbitrarily slap a factor of safety of 10... Engineering at times makes little sense. Caused by non-engineer, engineers writing codes.

-Dik

When I used to do fine woodworking, I used an exacto knife for a pencil...

-Dik

Does the NDS equation line up with table?
I went through this exercise awhile ago and called it a day by just having a "refer to tables" note on the sheet. I have the WoodWorks connectors program and only use my sheet to double-check numbers.

Don't know yet... will let you know and will post the SMath when completed.

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back