Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WOOD LAGGING DESIGN CALCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

structgeotec

Geotechnical
May 29, 2013
US
I have read multiple postings about this subject but I don't feel like a conclusion have been achieved.
someone said usually the wood lagging is not required to be designed but usually when doing submittals other engineers reviewing retaining walls, want to see calcs done for the lagging or question the way calcs have been put together.

Up to now I have seem for temporary shoring design (soldier pile and lagging system)
wood lagging design pressure as W=.25*L*gamma as per Silo theory Pressure (please correct me if this is wrong)
then calculate max Moment M=WL^2/8 and find stress on the lagging Fb=M/S< fb=1200 psi
L=wood lagging span
W=Pressure on Lagging
gamma=soil unit weight
DONE

but on the literature I have read as per CALTRAN MANUAL recommends to calculate the required section modulus as S=(M*0.6)/1200

and according to the mathematical model presented on this document [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.helicalpilebook.com/Files/Article%206%20v4.pdf[/url]
max pressure on lagging occurs at a depth=1.4*L
and max Pressure on Lagging is P(max)=Ka(w+1.2*L*gamma)

my question is: which one is more widely used in the industry?
to be more politically correct.

thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neither (both techniques lag behind the times), as, from what I can see, neither considers or mentions the reducing effect of soil arching, or the use of a CDF backfill, which is being prescribed by many geotechs now.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

It is largely empirical. 3x to a certain depth, 4x beyond that. When I need to do a calc, I either take half the apparent pressure, or the full pressure in a triangular distribution (similar to what you might do for a masonry lintel) tapering down to zero at support. These are the two most common methods I have seen used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back