Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Screws 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfabian

Structural
Jul 2, 2003
US
I designed a diaphragm using IBC 2003 and all the tables utilize nails for fastening (as do all other resources I have ever seen). I want to use screws to minimize squeaky floors. Where can I find a reference that gives equivalent screw sizes for common nails?

I compared the allowable shear values between common nails and wood screws using the NDS tables. Using common parameters an 8d common nail equivalent is a 7g screw. What is a 7g screw? Is that a #7 screw?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

andyfabian....your solution will probably be dictated more by what is available than an equivalence in NDS tables. For an 8d common nail, you should be fine with a #10, #12, or #14 screw, all commonly available in coated or uncoated versions.

Thanks Ron,

Appreciate the response, but what I'm looking for is more than a quick answer that will conservatively work. I need to be able to site a reference for this project and others in the future. We often work with municipalities that require submitting calcs and they can be picky.

Don't forget to consider glue along with your fasteners. The joist manufacturers recommend combining the two to reduce squeaks.

jheidt,

Fastenal has not been the best source. Contacted them about some screws we use, and was told that no manufacturer's data exists. Recommend trying elsewhere if possible.

To minimize wood floor squeaks:
use L/480 joist deflection
use additional blocking
glue decking (liquid nails)
screw decking

Boo1 and Andyfabian. I did a wood floor using structural plywood T&G from Georgia Pacific "Sturdifloor". I glued to the floor trusses using liquid nail and deck screws 6" o.c. A couple of years later started squeaking. Next time I'll use 30# roof paper glued b/w the trusses and flooring w/ Gorilla Glue, and the screws at 6" o.c.

You may want to check with APA, however it is my understanding the main component which helps prevent squeaking in a screwed and glued floor system, is the glue. The purpose of the screws is to provide the clamping action required to achieve proper glue bond. Also depending on the glue being used better results probably can be achieved by setting the panel on the joist then lifting the panel slightly and resetting it.

Also keep in mind squeaking may be cause by other things besides the fastners. Sometimes the joist hangers will produce skueaking along with duct work.

For all the info you can stomach on floor systems, check out Trus-Joist, the leader in wood products.

"boo1 (Mechanical)
9 Mar 05 14:20
To minimize wood floor squeaks:
use L/480 joist deflection
use additional blocking
glue decking (liquid nails)
screw decking"

Boo1 is correct, but in addition I would limit the span lengths of your lumber or I-joist. With the performance of I-Joists now, you can get some long spans, which even at a deflection limit of L/480 allows for too much bounce. Bounce and deflection allow for movement in the floor, which can lead to squeaking. If you have sqeaking in your floor after using glue and screw - something was done wrong in the installation. Usually, this occurs when the plywood is moved in to final position prior to screwing it down. Care has to be taken so that the glue is not smeared too much. A good framing crew can achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back