Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Shear Wall Nailing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SperlingPE

Structural
Dec 27, 2002
US
See IBC 2003 2306.3.1
see table 2306.3.1
This section permits a 40% increase for the values shown in the table when considering wind load. Would you judge that this same 40% increase can be taken when using air gun nails instead of the 8d, 10d, etc. shown in the table?
I have the ICBO report for nail gun nails which lists shear values for diaphragms.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NO. From my understanding just because the nail came out of a nail gun does not mean the nail is any stronger than a nail driven by hand. I fact it could be weaker. In a similar I attended at Simpson Strong Tie, there engineers pointed out that nails for nail guns will (in most cases) have a smaller diameter than the hand driven nails. This need to be taken in to consideration.

One item I would like to point out is that I have not been able to find anything on designing with oversized nails but have seen technical notes on overdriven nails using nail guns. We have placed on all our plans that if 20% of the nails are overdriven by 1/16" additional nails will be required. We also have on our plans all nails must have a specific diameter of (what ever it is).

There is a Technical note at the APA Web Site on overdriven fasteners.

Sorry about going from one topic (nails from a nail gun) to another (overdriven nails). It just seam to me that fixing one problem causes a another problem.

Good Luck

I don't see a conflict with what DaveAtkins says and what you say, OkieDokie. Dave points out that the nail must be the same size (this means diameter and head) and that the penetration depth is achieved. This is essentially what you say except you also added valid comments about overdriving.

JAE, While reading the post I was on the mind set that SperlingPE was asking if he could increase the values by 40% just cause they were going to be using a nail gun. I have not ran across or have I been told that I am allowed to increase in values just cause a nail gun is being used. I was just trying to be helpful in saying that some gun nails have on there box just "8d Common", "10d Box", ect.. There may not be a diameter on the box and if so that a "8d Common" nail for a nail gun is very likely to be a smaller diameter. It has been explained to me that the manufacture of gun nails can make a smaller diameter nail, coat it with glue and get the same pull out strength as a regular common hand driven nail. There for they can call it a 8 penny nail. It however does not have the same shear strength and to my understanding to increase the shear strength the nail needs a larger diameter. While trying to say that it dawned on me the issue of overdriven nails witch seams to be a larger problem. I must have lost may train of thought and went on to another topic with out fully explaining.

I do apologize if that caused some confusion. I did not mean to cause a conflict of any kind here. I have read many of DaveAtkins replies, a long with SperlingPE, (and yours also) and I have a lot of respect for what yall have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back