Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Shear Walls in RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStarEngineer

Structural
May 4, 2016
US
Has anyone modeled wood shear walls under rigid or semi rigid diaphragms in RAM structural system?
I know you could model it using the "Other" material in RAM but what properties of the wood shear wall would most accurately capture the behavior. I have a 2x6 width wall. You can specify the wall with 4 properties:

Thickness:
Modulus of Elasticity:
Self Weight: 35 pcf
Poissons Ratio: 0.3

I am just trying to get the force distribution to each shear wall to design them separately.
If anyone has any sample calculations or references to calculate the properties, I would really appreciate if you could share it.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have a full calculation. Essentially what you need to do is determine the expected deflection under a lateral load for a wall like yours. Then model up a 2D wall in RAM SS under that load with the correct thickness and unit weight and check the deflections. Then adjust E so that you get the expected deflection. Repeat for variations of the wall that are taller, longer or constructed differently. Then apply those E values to the walls of the full 3D model. Be aware the mesh size and the effect of having walls that intersect can affect the behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back