Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Tower Truss 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abusementpark

Structural
Dec 23, 2007
US
I need to form a wood tower out of what is essentially going to be a vertical truss. What do you recommend to be the best way to connect the 2x brace members to vertical members. I do not forsee having trouble making the members work, but I can see the connections giving me so problems.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would use simpson straps in combination with lag bolt into the end grain of the X members. I am not sure how thick your members are.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

If the web and chord members are in the same plane as is common with a typical pre-engineered truss, you would need to use straps or compression plates. If the web members can be outboard of the chords, you can utilize a lap joint which allows the use of bolts, lags, screws or even nails. Obviously, the amount of force being transmitted will determine which type of connector makes the most sense.

Are asthetics an issue?

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with tension only light gage metal strap (4" wide) as my bracing. I think it will ultimately provide a much cleaner connection than using 2x wood members as I can overlap the strap at connection points and still get good capacities out of 10d nails.

Ok, just make sure it can take the horizontal force. Thats why i recommend using it with lag bolts also. I know youll be good on Y direction with the strap, maybe not x direction.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back