Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

word form data back into access db - help with code

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwilime

Computer
Nov 22, 2001
US
I created a button to open a Word document and to fill in the form fields from a recordset. My question is how to get the the form fields from Word into Access to update the record? Open a recordset from VBA in Word? Can I have both Access open with the database and Word accessing the DB at the sametime?

Do I need to save the word document into a text file and then import? I have only found where importing will only add new records to the db. Or how can I set the form fields back to the db?

The reason wanting to use Word for the documents rather than Access is there are 25 pages of Word forms a department uses currently. They fill these out and print for the client's file. There is a "rule" the form has to be the approved form used for documentation. I could create a form in Acces for each form and then merge into Word to use the correct form format except there are 1500 fields to deal with already.

thanks in advance for suggestions and any basic code I can follow.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like to me that you need to write you a VB app and do all of your work from there.
Retrieve all of the data from the database as well as your word documents and mix and match however you need the output to be formatted. All of this can be handled programmatacially without having to actually open the Access and Word programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back