Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Work hardening example at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldestguy

Geotechnical
Jun 6, 2006
US
Came across a metallurgy example at my house that is interesting. We have a flower garden in town where there are many deer. They love to eat peoples flowers for some reason. So I surround the flower area with a fence of steel bailing wire on fiber glass rods at about 30" height. A timed fence charger (only at night) feeds the shocking voltage. Every so often a deer will get caught up in the wire and it breaks. So I go out and re-connect the wire where it broke or opened a twisted pair. Interesting that I usually don't have to do any re-stringing because the wire has stretched sufficiently. This situation probably has occurred at least 15 or 20 times in the life of the fence. During the repair, I usually have found no problem getting sufficient wire length to make the repair by hand, no tools. However today, I noticed (for the first time) how difficult it is getting to be to make these repairs due to the lack of the usual softness of the wire. Twists at the repair don't give me much stretch ability and the stuff is brittle. It's almost like working with spring wire. After the next episode, this old guy might end up using a new wire and starting the cycles all over again. Overall length of fence is about 30 or 40 feet and it has many "repairs".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not so good, because there might be a visitor here to receive the shock. Besides there is a covenant in this development. No fences. However. the developer is a pretty nice engineer, so I don't worry.

When doing some mechanical testing with an Instron I tested some baling wire just out of curiosity. It stretched over 100% before breaking. The remaining pieces were very straight and stiff with sharp points. I would be surprised if they don't make needles this way.

As a youngster, always making things, my folks didn't have a good supply of nails so I did a lot of salvaging out of ashes,etc. where nails were in the wood, etc. Those annealed nails wold bend easily, but then straightening them,the bend didn't want to go back where it started from, but another bend in annealed section would. no fun. "S" shaped nails. How many kids these days ever straightened a crooked nail?

With two daughters, breaking nails is more of a disaster than bending and straightening nails.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

By the way, I haven't seen baling wire, AKA hay wire, for decades. I've gone through five old balers for parts and trading scrap until I got one that was repairable and usable. All were over 30 years old and all five used twine not wire.
Page wire fencing has a lot of stretch. Barbed wire and barbless wire have some stretch but not as much.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

How many kids would know a nail of they saw one?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

WAROSS
My use of the term bailing wire is from a habit way back. Probably was fencing wire for the case mentioned. Have had a spool here for as long as I can remember and it comes in handy now and then.

Even as a kid half a century ago, loading hay into the loft, none of it was baled with wire. Don't think I've ever seen a bale of hay baled with wire yet "everyone knows" what baling wire is.

Speaking of reusing nails, we put a new dock in at the island last summer. Most of the spikes used to build the cribbing were reused, it's hard to find a hardware store with 16" spikes anymore. I also built a ramp that blended from the contour of the rock up to the dock, every piece of lumber and every nail in the ramp was salvaged from some earlier project.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

They put up the weirdest bunch of solar powered sensors and flashing lights on Highway 6 outside of Little Current ONT several years ago. We laughed about what they were for, UFO's? Turns out they are "trialing different wildlife collision mitigation methods".

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Saw an article recently where a laser light show was being used with supposedly great success to ward off avian attack on agriculture fields. I wonder if it would work for deer?

I used to see hay bailed with bailing wire all the time! I've never seen string. Funny. I can sure see any rancher wanting to never use wire after having some poor animal eat a piece.

We didn't like wire because we always used stacked bails for archery targets and an arrow could cut a single wire stand and your whole target would self disassemble. We usually converted to steel banding where you had get all that equipment to tighten the bands and crimp the crimp holding it all tight. Hitting a band with an arrow wouldn't cut it but it sure would do a number on your arrow, usually stripping the fletching off.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Dad always bought alfalfa hay, it's pretty heavy stuff and (40 years ago) was always baled with wire. Over the subsequent 20 years or so, that slowly transitioned to poly twine.

Oh and not...f that to be pedantic, it's BALING wire, for binding BALES of hay. It'd be hard to BAIL out your dinghy with wire...

Can you still purchase wire tied bales in your area, Keith?
I've gone through about about 6 old balers before getting one running.
Some were used for parts, some were used for trading for parts or for other balers.
All are about 40+ years old.
All are twine tie balers.
I only bale about 200 bales a year.
I understand that when twine tie balers came on the market 45 or 50 years ago, almost everyone switched to twine tie.
But that said, I also understand that large volume hay dealers stayed with the wire tied bales longer than farmers baling for their own use because of the greater strength and less broken bales with wire.
I am guessing that suppliers to a market with mostly horses where equipment is not available to handle round bales (1000 lbs. to 2000 lbs.) and hay must be handled by hand may still be using wire ties.
Up here such a large percentage of the hay is used by large operations that everything is tied with twine or netting.
A Google search for wire tied bales for sale gives two hits,
Carlisle KY, 1900 Miles away and
Sulfur Springs Texas, 1880 miles away.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back