Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Work hardening example at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldestguy

Geotechnical
Jun 6, 2006
US
Came across a metallurgy example at my house that is interesting. We have a flower garden in town where there are many deer. They love to eat peoples flowers for some reason. So I surround the flower area with a fence of steel bailing wire on fiber glass rods at about 30" height. A timed fence charger (only at night) feeds the shocking voltage. Every so often a deer will get caught up in the wire and it breaks. So I go out and re-connect the wire where it broke or opened a twisted pair. Interesting that I usually don't have to do any re-stringing because the wire has stretched sufficiently. This situation probably has occurred at least 15 or 20 times in the life of the fence. During the repair, I usually have found no problem getting sufficient wire length to make the repair by hand, no tools. However today, I noticed (for the first time) how difficult it is getting to be to make these repairs due to the lack of the usual softness of the wire. Twists at the repair don't give me much stretch ability and the stuff is brittle. It's almost like working with spring wire. After the next episode, this old guy might end up using a new wire and starting the cycles all over again. Overall length of fence is about 30 or 40 feet and it has many "repairs".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Back to hay wire: With horses, I use a lot of 'barbless wire". Barb wire without the barbs. Two galvanized steel wires twisted together, about #12 AWG.
Easy to untwist a length when I need a wire for a "hat wire" repair.
A heavier gauge and much stronger than the old hay wire.
It still stretches, but not as much as hay wire.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

As a child I would watch the farmer next door getting his hay baled with a stationary baler that used wire, the baler used a metal plate that was inserted in the machine first, then the rammer would push the hay against this until the bale was formed.
When the bale was big enough a C shaped piece of metal was pushed through the bale in two places, upper and lower, this piece of metal carried the baling wire also in a C shape, the C shaped piece of metal was pulled out and while the bale was still compressed, an operator would put a western union splice in the wires. The machine then pushed that bale out as the next one was formed. The metal plate was only used for the first bale. This was a five man operation, one guy tending the tractor and the fast loose pullies on the flat belt, One guy pushing the wires through, the other fastening them, another guy pitching hay into the hopper on the front of the bailer, and the last guy picking up bales and stacking them. You can see why this type of baler was quickly supplanted by the pickup baler.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

The mid-west farmers with feed lots (esp dairy) went to twine very quickly to reduce the number of animals killed by 'hardware disease'. Though many dairy farmers still use cow magnets to help prevent incidents.

OG, I have seen deer jump a 8' fence to get into peoples gardens. There is no stopping the tall rats.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Sooorrrrry guys... can't help myself...

Far_Side_Hay-Wire_me6cb3.jpg

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back