Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workable gages in 3x3 angle leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

oengineer

Structural
Apr 25, 2011
US
I would just like to verify that in AISC Table 1-7A, for a 3" leg angle, it shows that there is NO workable g1 & g2. Am I reading this correctly?

If I wanted to design a connection for a single angle I would need to use a minimum of 5" leg angle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think table 1-7A is for either one row of bolts (g) or pairs of bolts in line (g1/g2).

For any angle leg, if you can fit them, you can use staggered bolts as long as you can provide the recommended minimum bolt hole edge distance (AISC Table J3.4) and conversely provide clearance off the orthogonal leg for nut/washer clearance and wrench access (AISC 14th Ed Tables 7-15 and 7-16).

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Depends on your bolt size and angle thickness. A 3/4" bolt in an L3x3x1/4 is not uncommon. If you want to put a 1" bolt in an L3x3x1/2... well...that probably won't work.

@azcats - I am using 2 rows & one column of bolts.(see attachment )

@JAE- I am analyzing a L3x3x1/4 single angle shear connection. The bolt diameter is 5/8". My g1 value is currently 2".(see attachment ) In AISC 14th edition, for single angle connection, Table 10-11 shows 3" for g1. I want to verify that I can use 2" according to AISC.

@CANPRO- I am analyzing a L3x3x1/4 single angle shear connection. The bolt diameter is 5/8".

I don’t have the exact reference, but I believe the min bolt spacing is 2.7xdiameter, which means you can space your 5/8” bolts at 2”.

Is this for the W8 connection? Why the need to space so tightly?

Is this what you are trying to ask?

Capture_m2n37w.jpg

You can use a L4x3 for a single leg connection. Shop weld the 3" leg to the girder and bolt the 4" leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back