Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

workbench to ansys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmf2011

Structural
Feb 14, 2011
BR
Hello Everyone,
Intially i worked in ANSYS workbench. Now i want to carry my work in ANSYS classic. But after converting the model only node,type element,area,but real constant is not avaiable . I dont know wat to do???
Help me pls!!!!!!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) have you asked the help desk ?

2) there's an ANSYS forum that'll probably get you more help

what does "real constant" mean ?

1) try them, they can be helpful.
2) if you posted in the ANSYS forum, pls RF this thread.
3) that seems very odd ... (that the thickness wouldn't translate). have you read up the ANSYS manual ?

Hi

As default Ansys Workbench export as Shell181 element type and uses section properties (real constants will soon be phased out as far as I know). I think actually that Shell181 can not use real constants to define thickness.

What I did before when I wanted to export shell63 (an older shell element type) and use real constants was to add a command to each body in Workbench Mechanical (you have to right-click and add command on each body). In that way you can force Mechanical to use a special element type.

when using SI-units (meter, kilo, seconds) you could add a command like this on a body:

et, matid, 63
r, matid, 0.01

It tells Mechanical you want to use element type/number 63 (which is Shell63) and the real value should be 0.01 m. It is a bit confusing with the name "matid" but I think that this will be the number for the element type and the real id when you open it in Ansys Classic.

Try it out - it should work like this, it did for me.

FEA consulting made easy -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back