Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

workflow file management

Status
Not open for further replies.

EaZiE

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
Does anyone have a workflow for modifying assemblies that doesn't damage the originals. Currently, I open up the original and do a pack and go export and add a suffix to all the parts filenames. This way I can refer to the original while editing the new and it won't affect the origninal. Also, what about changing the names in the feature tree? My workflow is pretty clunky and takes a long time. I would really like it if all of my assemblies were self contained, meaning, when I have collected parts from other locations my editing won't affect those originals. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm trying to get this pinned down. It seems like it has to be easier without spending all this time naming files. Why can't Solidworks take the new instance of the part without having to change it across you hard drive. If I wanted that instance changed I would change it.... Any guides?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are changing parts that are used in other assemblies I would want to make sure they changed as well. That way I can open those other assemblies and make sure my changes have not creating problems for the other products that use the same part. If your parts are only used parts in one assembly and you are not reusing a part then what you are doing is fine. Otherwise you are only asking for trouble when you change a part and do not check how those changes affect other products using the same part.

EaZiE,

Do you have some mechanism for storing your existing files read-only? PDM does this. When you modify, you save the new stuff with a new model, drawing and part number.

--
JHG

EaZie,

What you need is a PDM application. PDMWorks is one of the easiest to use. My recommendation is that you get familiar with what a PDM systems is. You may want to sit down with a PDMWorks reseller and have them demonstrate how it can achieve your requirements. Make sure you define your requirements and understand why you need them this will help whomever is demonstrating PDMWorks demonstrate how PDM's handle your files, revisions, changes etc.

Once you use a pdm system you will never go back to renaming files with suffixes for revision control.

Good luck,

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back