Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working in a "family" business... 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDO863

Civil/Environmental
Mar 18, 2006
US
Here is my situation:
I am a civil engineer with 9 years of experience. I work on private land development projects. The company I work for has been established for over 70 years...grandfather started company, handed down to sons, now to granddaughter. The gd is in her early 40's and "took over" about 2 years ago. She has zero management, engineering or surveying skills, experience, or even insight; basically inherited the company and is doing I don't know what to run things.
It is very important in this profession to make regular site visits, as we all know. So, on almost every occasion that an engineer has gone to a site (she looks at the billable time/timesheets to know this) she later accuses each of us of not really going, and this irritates the crap out of me and my co-workers. She will start with a comment like "So, how were things at the XYZ site on Tuesday?". Thinking she is genuinely interested in knowing, I begin to say....but am then interrupted with a comment like "Someone I know drove by and did not see you." This has happened to me and others, actually causing some great people to leave. I have been in the office on a Saturday, working, and then have comments made that "someone" she knows did not see my car...
Anyone out there dealing with any of these issues? Or working for a "non-technical" boss? She can't be fired, since she pretty much owns the company. It seems a shame that a firm that is so well-established is now being run by someone that is rather clueless. If it wasn't for the fact that I really enjoy the work and the clients, I would think of leaving. The only other firms in the nearby area are consulting firms. I specifically left consulting since I was burnt out on DOT-type projects, and find private jobs more diverse and fulfilling. I am a people person.

I welcome any feedback on this. Thanks for reading my post.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, "someone she knows" did this and did that.

Basically, she's calling you a liar. That's something you need to address, stand up for yourself and it will stop.

Ask who this someone is, if she does not want to say, then let her know that "someone" is a damn fool, and she better get herself another rat; because her current rat either does not know what kind of car you drive or is just plain stupid.

At this point, it does not matter how you treat her; she has called you a liar, and it's time to move anyway.

I wonder if she has a small army of "someones" driving around with a list of cars to look for.

Charlie

All good suggestions above - both if you decide to stay with the company or strike out on your own. One idea I didn't see would be to contact her dad. Depending on how long you've been at the company and if he knew you or not will determine whether this is possible. Or maybe he just gets an anonymous letter... This also depends on if you think dad would be able to see through his daughter's lack of business skill.

Honestly if you can take 90% of the clients, do it. Even better if you convince one of the two remaining survey crews to go with you. Buy a few computers, some software, file for the business license, and *BOOM* - instant freedom from the non-trusting, can't-manage, former boss.

I had a talk with her father, who comes in about once every two months, for a few days. I made him aware of the situation. He said he would "straighten things out". I told him, "Could you please let me know that you have spoken to her and lets come to some understanding on this issue? I cannot work under these conditions." He replied, "Certainly, Of course!".

It's been weeks and I have not heard a word.

Guess it's time to put my wheels in motion.

Thanks everyone for the posts with all the great suggestions and comments! I especially liked the newspaper idea!

When I do leave, I just may print this thread and leave one copy on her desk and one on her fathers!

Let see - a dad has to choose between daughter and someone who once worked for him. Not surprised at his choice.

Told ya over a month ago to "GO". Up to you.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Get out. My old "war wounds" tell me that this is probably only the beginning. There is an old saying regarding family businesses: "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations". You don't want to be around when the ship finally sinks.

"Clogs to clogs in three generations" is another.

My gut says that talking to dad was a bad move and not just because he isn't going to chose you over his daughter.

Dad has "retired" and now has no real idea what is going on; I assume he talks to his daughter more than he talks to the employees. She may not like him "interfering" and may see his visits as "checking up on her." Way more pitfalls than any other scenario.

Worse, you haven't spoken with the GD but "gone over her head" to her old man..... and if he does mention it to her it will probably be indirect:
"Hey Hon, how are getting on with Bear26? Is she doing a good job for you?"
"Why do you ask dad?"
"Well, she doesn't seem happy about something. Is everything OK?"
"Oh it's nothing I can't handle, I've had to pull her up a few times about not being on site when she is supposed to be. I've some bad reports."
She might even imply that you resent her for being the boss.

Just my view but I'd suggest you stop digging and go look for another job.

JMW

I was in a very similar situation 25 yrs ago. I left and never looked back. It's a big world out there with plenty of opportunity. Just open the door and walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back