Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

working in canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitanuj

Electrical
Aug 10, 2002
CA
Dear all,
I migrated to canada and actively searching for job. Here engineering pratice is regulated. That is all engineers must be registered as professional engineer. All the job openings specifies that.
To get registered as professional engineer 48 months canadian experience is must.
so it is like chicken and egg story.
I am inneed of help. If anybody can help me find out either volunteer job OR internship or reference of professional engineer with whom i can work?
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Post this question in forum731.

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

Smitanuj,

Have you asked DIRECTLY at the institutan that issue the licence?
You'll find that you open a file , you pass the exams that they give you and after that you become a junior professional engineer (without the need to have canadian experience).
After this step you can work but you can not sign documents.
To pass from junior PE to PE you need 48 months of experience in Canada.

That's the rule of the game.

Good luck,

johnaeus

This is not true - sorry Johnaeus.

You must have 12 monthes of Canadian experience and 48 monthes of total engineering experience anywhere in the world.

You did not note how much experience that you do have.

Basically if you do not have 4 years experience you can become an EIT - Engineer in Training. If you have a degree from a certified university you will be able to get EIT status. If you do not have a degree you can not work as an engineer. If you have a degree but not from a certified university then you must write tests to prove your knowledge.

I would recommend that you write an e-mail to the Association in the province that you are living.

If you have less then 4 years experience you can register as a EIT and apply for all entry level jobs. You will note that all job postings say that you must be able to register with the association in the province all that means is that you have a certified engineering degree. If you have 3 years of experience from your home country then you will only have to work for 1 year to become a professional engineer in canada.

I'm glad to see the system is working. sorry to you that it is so confusing.

BTW, you did not specify WHICH Canadian province you are located in.

Each province has its own Engineering Act, and each province has an autonomous association to police and enforce its act.

Therefore, you should contact whichever group is relevant to your province where you intend to practice.

For example, in Ontario, you need to talk to the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO). In Nova Scotia, you need to deal with the Association of Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia (APENS).

The enrollment and ongoing training requirements for each province can be slightly different.

But in general, if you have a DEGREE from a recognized university, you should be able to acquire EIT status for entry-level positions. You may have to write a 'Professional Ethics' exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back