Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJLDesign

Civil/Environmental
Jul 12, 2003
AU
Hiya guys

I live in Australia and am looking to head over to the US by the end of the year.

Just wondering what software packages you guys use.

I have AutoCAD, CivilCAD and 12D model under my belt and i have a background in Res A Houseing developments Industrial and Commercial sites.

Any information you can swing my way be good.

Thanks

Rj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Rj:

I work for a consulting firm at El Paso, Tx. We use Microsurvey, Eaglepoint, Autocad, Microstation, Caice. Some of these programs are just a requirement by the state transportation department, but we feel very comfortable using the Autocad-Microsurvey, Autocad-Eaglepoint combinations.

Hope that helps,

Roberto.

Hi RJ,
I work with a consulting firm in Winter Haven, Florida. Here is a list of a few program packages we utilize most often; 1) AutoCAD 2004 with Autodesk Land Development Desktop, Civil Design and Survey; 2) Autoturn; 3) the suite of Haestad Methods Civil Engineering Software; 4)ICPR II and 12D; 5) Ponds and Modret; and 6) FDOT Storm Sewers.

Good Luck in the States!
Zenon

There are many, many software packages used by US engineers. If you plan to do private practice engineering, rather than drafting, you will want to be registered. Registration is on a State to State basis in the US so you'll need to contact the State Board where you locate.

As to other software, they fall into broad categories including GIS, structural, mechanical design, hydraulics, hydrology, electrical, CAD/CAM and many more.

g'day and good luck,

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back