Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Working on a Book...Any Advice? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPcomposites

Aerospace
Jul 27, 2010
US
I am working on an engineering book and am just looking for any advice/ideas/etc.

I am not sure is how to create the final product and what software to use (currently using MS Word and will convert to PDF). But that can get pretty clunky at times with pictures, etc. Perhaps there is a better solution? If not, the Word approach is good enough probably.

My current approach is to construct notes and work with fellow engineers on the content, then to formalize it into a final product. I plan on self publishing.

Other than that, any type of advice is appreciated. I don't know if this is exactly the right sub-forum for this, but could not find anything more relevant.

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ESPcomposites,

I vote for LaTeX too. Note only does it do very attractive typesetting, it has excellent math support. You can make attractive printouts. You can output to PDF, with an interactive table of contents. You can install latex2html, and output your book as a web page.

You need a good book on it. I strongly recommend A Guide to LaTeX 2e - Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced Users by Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly.

Critter.gif
JHG

Re self-publishing, it is probably easier, and lower entry costs, to publish as an e-book and make it available thru Amazon or similar large distributors. They will take their cut of your sales, but you avoid the cut being taken by two or three other middlemen.

I looked into LaTeX while working on my dissertation, but it was not really for me. I think it is a good option and if I would have bit the bullet and learned it, maybe it would work. But now, time is a premium and it probably is not worth the trade of learning it.

Brian

I considered authoring too.

When it's done, I'd send a copy to the US Gov copyright office and get a formal record of the copyright protection.

I think it's important to be able to state an objective or message or reason or target niche for the book up front.

Make sure you don't use anybody's graphics or photos without permission.

I'd worry about the publishing software last. Write it in word for easy word processing and reformat later.

Understand if it's for training or a desk reference the organization should be very different.

Good luck.

I am not familiar with Framemaker, and have not looked at what it is intended for. With regards to Quark and Indesign (yes, this is the replacement for Painmaker), my wife has, and uses, both on a daily basis.

Keep in mind, these are both professional grade products, and therefor have a multitude of features that you pay for, but most likely will not use. The wife has basically switched over to Indesign, using Adobe's Creative Suite package, and seems to like it more than Quark at this point.

One thing to consider before dropping the cash on the program would be to hire a Graphic Designer to do the layout for you. Just type up the content in Word, and let them drop it in, along with the graphics. It would save you time, and you can still have control over the product.

Thanks for all the help!

My conclusion is to go with InDesign + (MathMagic or MathType or InMath).

However, I am not going to do the production part as I originally intended. Instead, I decided to have a professional handle it. I will supply him with the content, but work with him to insure it has the desired result. This will enable me to focus my efforts on the content and not get side tracked. I was surprised at how affordable this is and it takes a tremendous burden off my plate.

Brian

Mike,
I have been pursuing this for a number of years ever since the disasters attributable to the 1978 dereg of the airlines. Dereg led to a number of degradations in experience, equipment, and mgt. The worst example is the crash of Colgan / Continental near Buffalo last year. Flying Magazine has good coverage in several 2010 issues.

The Merchant Marine Academy was established after a cruise ship disaster costing 300+ lives. [see Morro Castle, 1935] Having been a flight instructor, I have an inside view of the business, and the conclusion is that the airlines need to upgrade to professional mgt, pilots trained thru competitive entry in a national airline academy for accelerated training vs. long hrs in little airplanes, and well engineered US built small airliners.

I released a detailed article to a national magazine and hope to gain national attention thru that venue. The goal is completion of a book, promotion of the concept in all venues, and execution of the plan. The academy would be a multi-location national institution with competitive entry for US citizens, rapid evolution from small airplanes to twin jets within 4 yrs, and a curriculum of applied engineering university level academics.

What we have today is a plethora of trade schools with open enrollment, and the main emphasis is on bringing big money for hundreds of hrs of little airplane training. The handwriting is on the wall: Present small airliners are not doing the job, and we are accumulating hundreds of tombstones in the process. The public deserves better.

Find someone willing and able to be your editor, which may be difficult for a book of this nature.

Also, it would probably be helpful to have a group of sample readers from your target market give you feedback before going to print.

Good for you, and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back