Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

World's Largest AC Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBUDA54

Electrical
Aug 7, 2001
US
Does anyone know where the world's largest electrical Motor resides, what it is used for, and who makes it? I went to a Large AC Motor GE Seminar and found two motors that was used in a refinery for Motiva that drove Fans. The following was taken from an IEEE website "The ASU for the Motiva Delaware City repowering project depends upon the proper application and operation of very large synchronous motors, including a four-pole 66000-hp machine and a four-pole 43000-hp machine, the former being the largest 1800-r/min compressor driver ever designed and manufactured."
This article was written in 2001 so there has to be bigger motors since then.

Thanks in advance for any input. I tried search eng-tips for prior discussions and did not find any.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

may now be worth taking a peek at the offshore oil industry - particularly around the caspian sea where a number of world 'firsts' are happening on a regular basis.

I took a tour of the Langley National Transonic Facility (NTF) last year, where they mentioned the fan drive motor was one of the largest in the world. A bit of Googling turned up this press release:

135,000 hp, built by ABB, and continuous duty from 360-600 RPM. There were many reasons I kicked myself for forgetting my camera; this motor was one of them. BIG!

135,000 hp slow speed... that's a big-a** motor.

My work location has two generators that output 1350Mwe each. That would be equivalent to approx 1,350,000 horsepower each. Not slow speed, not motors, but still pretty dang big.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Uncle Bob... have you ever taken apart the 'business end' of a pepper grinder? It might remind you of that gyratory crusher. Mind you, the pepper mill just turns and the gyratory crusher presumably oscillates, but it's not so terribly different.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back