Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worldwide Hazardous Locations Class/certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

philzone1234

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2009
US
Hello,

I am trying to find out how the following countries and regions define their hazardous locations:

US, Canada Europe,Japan,Brazil, Mexico, Australia, China and Russia.

So far(correct me if wrong)the US is governend by the NEC and is done by type condition and nature(Class 1 and 2, Divisions 1 and 2,groups, and temps,protection method).

Is there a site that can reference all the worlwide classifications?

Thanks,

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you find the universal site that identifies all of the codes and applications please let us know. Some posters exist that cross reference ATEX and NEMA ingress protection etc. NFPA 70 covers most USA electrical code issues. IEEE C2 also applies within the USA. Some plants in the USA may use the zone classification while other plants owned by the same company may use the Division classification. Mexico contracts mostly accept the use of the USA electrical standards. Even if a site provides a list of the standards, individual contracts may differ.

US: NEC 70 which offers 'traditional' US Class and divisions, but now includes Zones

Canada: CEC

Europe: ATEX

Japan: JSA JIS or PSE

Mexico: Most of the Mexican companies I have designed for (over 10 years ago) have requested designing to the NEC. But that is not to say there is not some Mexican standard.

China: Does have their own code. From what little I've seen, it's a mix of the IEC and NEC. I've worked with two companies in China off and on over the last 5 years and have not found one person who can point me to the China code when I ask about design. Typical answer when I question their design is "that is how we do it here", with very little documentation to show for it.

Australia, Russia: Can't help you there.

Australia follows Australian standards many of them are IEC standards with Australia specific requirements included in them

Check saiglobal.com for copies

Think russia follows GOST standards not sure about this one though.

viswa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back