Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Worm Gear Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVE

Jul 1, 2003
US
Hello All,

I have 2 right-angle shafts to connect, the driven must rotate at half the speed of the driver one.
Worm gears are generally recommended for big reduction ratio. So, can I use a worm gear with the small ratio (2)in this case ?

The distance between shafts is 45 mm. So, I found the following values.
modulus = 3
Worm Wheel
Z - teeth 10 20
Root diameter 23.89 53.89
PCD 30.00 60.00
Tip diameter 35.09 65.09
Width 46.2 18.4
Helix angle = 32.0°
mn = 2.54

Could you comment these figures ? Are they practicaly acceptable ?????

Thank you,
DVE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have space limitations,
the worm design might be your
answer. What kind of material
are you suggesting? Will this
operate without lubrication
for a space project?

Hello Diamondjim,
Hello Iskit4iam,

To a answer your questions, material should be something like BS817M40 (34 CrNiMo 6) or equivalent with the necessary heat treatment. Lubrication should be by splash, the design allows the use of a cooling system and, up to now, I don't know about the grade ... so let's say it is not an issue in this case.

Both of you seems to prefer the cross-helical gear choice for such a small ratio or if packaging is not an issue.
In this case, the two gears have contact only in one point; contrarily to worm gears where the contact is line-wise. Cross helical gears are then more subject to pitting and not so safe in terms of fatigue... (how to evalute this ?)

... So, yes, maybe I should make the calculations for both solutions but this will not answer my first question : is it allowed to have a ratio of 2 with a worm gear system ???

Thanks,
DVE

Hello DVE:

The answer to your question is that it is not practical to manufacture a 10 lead worm to mesh with a 20 teeh gear as you asked.

REASONS:
First: It would be very difficult to make a 10 lead worm with accuracy,
Second: the resulting angle would be very high for both the worm and the gear, you would get to "slanted" teeth meshing would be at so high a pressure angle that a very high loss of power would result.
Third: All power loss would be turned into heat so you would requiere to install oil cooling devices or get a very low life on the worm and gear
Fourth: The side pressure upon the gear made by the worm would tend to push it sideways with the resulting high load on the gear bearings and a high abrasion would destroy in a relatively short time your gear.

RECOMENDATION: Use a conical gear, the relation 2:1 or 1:2 is easily achieved, the cost is low, setup is simple and high power can be transmited in a compact package. The mayor drawback of this setup would be a higher noise level.

If the noise is a problem then you could use a helical conical gear, but this type of gear requieres special equipment to make so your next choice would be 2 helical tooh gears crossing at 90º between axis.

Definitly forget the worm-gear option because you would not be able to use the self braking capability of a worm gear set up as the angle would not block the movement of the gear with the worm.

Hope you got your answer

SACEM1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back