Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worm gear for translation rather than rotation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jande

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2004
US
I'm wondering if worm gears are ever used to produce translation rather than rotation. In other words, can the teeth that would normally be hobbed onto a wheel be cut onto the length of a shaft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Essentially I am looking for a method of translating a shaft similar to the helical rack that you're describing. The worm would function the same way it does in conventional applications, but the wheel would be replaced by a rack. The reason that I was wondering about a worm was because I would like to get as much reduction as possible and because it would resist backdriving.

I think it would be a rather unique application, but there is no reason you can't use a worm to drive a rack. I bet any experienced gearing company could make the parts for you.

Could two parallel threaded shafts give you what you need? You could use something like a single start acme thread. One will translate motion to the other and there would be no backdriving.
Essentially, I think, what you're asking for is a wheel of infinite diameter to mate with a worm. This is of course possible although, in answer to your question, the "rack" can not be hobbed or fly cut as you would cutting a wheel. Your options are; form milling, gear shaping, wire cutting.

Hi Jande,
In answer to your original question, it seems that a Crescent (R) wrench or a worm drive hose clamp would come close to what you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back