Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worth it to go to 2008? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvanhiel

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2001
US
I'm currently working in 2007.

I loaded 2008 because I needed to look at a supplied file that was a latest rev. I was pretty disgusted with all the needless tweaking of the interface, but that was just a first impression from 10 minutes of using it.

We've got only one client whose engineering group has gone to '08, and even they are considering going back to '07 due to numerous bugs. I don't know any other users of '08. The situation reminds me of PTC's half-assed release of Wildfire and it's widespread non-adoption by it's customers. Most never even loaded it and didn't upgrade until WFII (or WFIII!) was available.

So the question is.... is it really that bad? Can I sit this one out and wait for '09?

-b

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use 08' at least 8 to 10 hours a day, designing Yachts. I can tell you so far so good on the product. Let's face it, no matter what program you use out there the end user will always be the ginny pig. Microsoft alone uses this as a corporate model to design OS's or Office apps. Unfortunetly we are the test bed for any of these large software companies. As far as 08 goes, the program itself runs pretty decent, the UI is different but once you get used to the Navigation it is more productive and direct in applying features, sketches, etc.. apparently 09' will handle even larger assemblies (I heard). The surfacing feature with SW in the old days was horrible, they have come a long way and it seems to get better every build.

I was spectacle of SW2008 and had IT load on a work station for testing. Well it sat for months and no one at our company sat down to work with the software. Late last week I booted the workstation dreading opening the 2008 software due to the horror stories (interface) that I read on the site. Well…….after a couple hours of testing and changing settings, it’s all not that bad. Yes, the interface is different, but software pretty much works the same. I copied some of the production files onto my flash drive and things seemed to work ok.

I guess what I’m saying is, that everyone will find problems/bugs and make the issues bigger than they sound. I’m a prime example of that. Change is hard for everyone, if we open or eyes it’s really not that bad.

Oh, one more thing. I’m having our IT department load the SW2008 SP 3.0 next week on everyone’s workstation.

Have a good day,

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2007 SP 5.0
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
I'm just a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Pink Floyd, was neither Pink nor Floyd. Discuss!--“Coffee Talk” Mike Myers SNL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back