Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Would Heating an Aluminum Baseball Bat Make it hit Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrippL

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2011
US
Question came up this past weekend during a college baseball game. Would like to get some expert opinions on the subject.

A bat's deflection at impact acts like "trampoline" for the ball so heating up the bat could possibly make it deflect more, possibly giving it more spring. On the other hand , heat it up too much and it could dampen the impact. I would think heating it up could possibly improve the hitting distance of the bat.

What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wish I was a baby.

I think someone should work more on extra special glasses to allow you to see the ball the way Ted Williams could. He always credited his hitting ability to his incredible eyesight.

DubMac,

I think it was his sight processing speed that gave Ted his ability. It was said that he could read the trademark on the ball of a fast ball pitch while spinning and whirling towards the plate.

Having played ball for the past 20 years (baseball and now slowpitch), I can guarantee there is a difference in the distance a ball will be hit by an aluminum bat on a cold day vs. a warm day. I am in northern Canada so a cold day for ball is ~40°F and a warm day can be 90°F+. On the cold days, the bats would feel "dead", even a good hit in the sweet spot would send a shock into your hands and the ball would not fly off with the usual speed. A hit that would have for sure been a home run would turn into a lazy fly.

I agree that it probably isn't the properties of the aluminum though. The same "dead" feel to a bat also happens when a bat gets slightly dented. When that happens the bat is consigned to the practice field.

Could the increase in air pressure within the bat at different temperatures affect the stiffness enough to make this difference?

The colder air will be more dense and the ball will not travel as far, either... just like a bullet in cold air... changes the trajectory a tad...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back