Would you take a 20% pay cut to learn a specific software? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST111

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2016
GB
Hello.

Would you take a 20% cut in salary (around 7500 USD) to learn a specific software if training was included? I am a graduate and I'm thinking if I should leave my current job to work for someone that is willing to provide training using Ansys. Long term would this could be good but I'm unsure how important this is, as I currently use FEA software but it is an in house program.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What long term are you talking about? Do you mean with your new Ansys knowledge, you'll be able to get a better job? And does better mean higher paying or better conditions? Higher paying than your job now, meaning a 20% raise? Plus any salary you've lost in the meantime?
And by the way, if you have a degree and 20% of your salary ($37,500?) is $7500, you're already underpaid.
Big no from me.

Yes, I mean with ANSYS experience under my belt would it be better for my future prospects? Also the company offering a lower salary but training is a consulting firm so the work is likely to more varied and in my opinion more interesting, just another thing to consider

No. You can learn it on your own while you still have your current job....you might even be able to convince your current employer to switch software if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Depends on which type of training.

- If it is a training course (seminar or 5 to 10 days) and then go back to normal life. Answer is NO.
- If it is the training you get from being involved on practical situations where role requires you to practice the tool extensively (i.e. stay late at the office, have tough deadlines, have a guru sitting next to you that you can learn from, etc.). My answer is where do I need to sign ?

Anywhere just my opinion.

Changing software is out of the question in my scenario! But I appreciate the suggestion.

In response to rotw: I would use it almost every day and for most projects I would work on, along side a team of experts, so not just a one off course.

Going back 20% is a long way back, trying to come forward that amount with be very hard, probably 4 years.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

No, for all you know someone in two years will completely revolutionize FEA analysis and you'll want to learn another FEA package. Don't change jobs to learn a software that you don't need right now or don't 100% know you're going to need in the near future. That is unless it will be a job requirement (MS word, excel, powerpoint, etc.).

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

I answered a similar question about software; "form follows function." If your in-house program is any good at all, then it'll be doing things similarly to commercial packages, so it's of marginal utility to go out of your way to learn one particular program. So, unless the other features of this new job are, by themselves, worth losing 20%, then I would stand pat.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

7500/0.2 = 37,500. No, and shouldn't you be looking for better pay, assuming an equivalent to a BS degree.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Ok so I looked again at the numbers (it was originally off the top of my head), I didn't think it was that relevant but the actual numbers are: effective salary due to Bonus etc. is ~$47,000. Whilst the other (after pay cut) is around $41,000, so looking at $6000 drop (~13%)

With the numbers correct, and taking all things into account (a potentially more interesting role [although one can never predict the future!] + training), does this sway the decision

That's better. It's still a no though. Figure out a way to keep the better pay and get the training. There has to be a way.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

At the start of my career, if I had the opportunity, to work extremely close with an industry leader due to the company badly needing a successor and there was an agreement or expectation that I take a larger important role sooner into my career than normally would otherwise, I think I would have taken it. Money at the start of your career is a wash usually in my opinion but getting really good experience in a field that you know your interested in is extremely valuable. Wasting time doing stuff that you are not that interested in but doing because you really needed a job is expensive. 20% is hard to swallow if you have no idea how to make up that ground quickly. I haven't run across one company though that was cheap with you at the start and became very rewarding later on.

Even if you have to take vacation and pay for attending training on your own, I would think you would be better off in the long run than taking a pay cut for training. At the very least, you will be in a better negotiating position for your next job with a higher paying current job. That said, there are more important factors to job satisfaction than money. If there are other compelling reasons to take the other job, then by all means go for it! But I personally would not take a large pay cut just to get training on a widely available software program.

Personally I think $41000 is still good for a young grad, but hey I'm pretty new to all this! I must day it is not only the software, it is the working environment and nature of the work which will develop my skill set more.

Also, HamburgerHelper I don't fully understand what you mean when you say you haven't run across one company that was cheap with you at the start and became very rewarding later on. Are you saying it is unlikely to pay off in that company? If so I would go else where (as jpankask) has stated

I'm not familiar with this software. But I can say from my point of view if someone came to me and said I would give you training on a software if you take a 20% cut in your salary would be a insult to me. But I understand where your coming from, sometime software can make the different between a good career move and a bad one. I would say try to see if you can learn the software on your own and if that doesn't yield anything, then see if you can find another employer who give the training and keep your salary, and if none of that work maybe take a 10% cut if you really think it's going to pay-off in the future (but if you take a cut it's going to put you in the hole already and probably take you some additional time just to get back to that salary your making already).

Overall, my gut feeling is if your banking on your career on a software starting out as a engineer and not more on learning the trade or the finished product you're specializing yourself too much. I'm sure with your current employer you can learn something that would bring value to your career and still not take a 20% hit (which could make the different in your lifestyle whether that be a car or saving up for a new home if those kind of things are important to you).

Your job decision should be based on whether your growing in your trade not so much a software (I always based on my job decision on the people I worked with and the projects I worked on). That's my two cent. good luck ST111.[pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back