Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wow its been 5 years,,,,, 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymmeh

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2007
US
So I used to regular this forum, been pretty busy with work.
My last post was this thread730-362499 in 2014!

I did end up as a production engineer in one of "the worlds largest" companies.

This has been a pretty awesome trip in many ways (including relocation, and maybe another relocation). My position is the tip of the engineering spear for the company, so I am about as far from the corporate life as I can possible be.

So looking back at the last 5 years, the ups and downs were definitely not what I expected in 2014. The funny part that I have seen is how far behind in technology some production facilities are, often less because of the market and more because of the social issues at the ground level and managers resistance to change. The good thing is this keeps me very busy, however I typically dont have time to peruse and comment on eng-tips.

Wish you all the best.
Gymmeh (Jimmy)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am glad it worked out for you. I remember when you used to post here you weren't ever really where you wanted to be. My career started off rough similarly to yours. I just remember thinking at least I wasn't only off to a pretty rough start because of their GPA. I had to move to Houston for a technician job which led to an engineering job in oil and gas. I think the requirement at the time to get into oil and gas at the time was being able to fog a spoon. Had I stayed in Minnesota, I don't know I could have held out for a real engineering job. I probably would have gotten into the trades and become an electrician. I don't know. Hard to say if that would have been better or worse. Since, I have gotten a masters and my PE license and often feel a little overqualified for the positions I have been in. I feel I am good enough to dance with anyone in my speciality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

I found it wasn't just social issues but finding capital money to spend, when so many others were competing for it, too. Some capital projects were approved based upon feelings and not purely economics. Interesting stuff to see, for sure.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter
Dinner program:

HamburgerHelper, Yeah I had some doldrum in my early career, but O&G has been good in every way, I like that 50% of my time is not in an office! I think I could never go back to a corporate office.

Lacajun, Yeah, the good thing is i dont work on new plants, and the group that I have been in is lean. That means the ups and downs just dictated how many contractors we hired vs trying to fix/change stuff ourselfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back