Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WPQ's and different filler metals 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1999kb

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2013
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and would like your help with a welding issue.

Question #1. If a welder has done performance qualifications for SMAW for the following:
P1 to P1 with F-3 & F-4, currently using 6010 root/7018 cover, would he also
qualify for 7010/8018 (all other variables are unchanged)?

Question #2. Does the code require a new WPS - PQR - WPQ?

Thanks for your kind assistance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clarifying #2, the switch from E6010 to E7010-A1 or A-No. 1 to A-No. 2 does not require requalification but does require a new WPS to be written. Your choice of E8018 more than likely takes the filler metal out of A-No. 2 unless the class is E8018-B; if not E8018-B1, the WPS must be requalified.

stanweld,
Thank you for the prompt reply! We'll be using a E7010-A1 & E8018-C3.

Since I'm relatively new to this, would you mind explaining what is meant by "the WPS must be requalified"? Would you happen to know the applicable section in code?

sb1999kb;
If you have Section IX handy, read completely QW-250 and then review the essential variables for the SMAW process in QW-253. Review the essential variable requirements under filler metals. If any of the essential variables requires a change from the original WPS, this means a new WPS must be qualified.

Thanks, metengr. All variables remain the same except for the change in electrodes. So, if I understand correctly, I'll write a new WPS & supporting PQR - WPQ.

I appreciate the help.

stanweld,
So,in review: In addition to writing a new WPS & new supporting PQR, the welder who is currently qualified using 6010/7018 will NOT have to test using 7010/8018? Sorry if this seems redundant - just trying to get it right! Thanks.

stanweld,
Regarding the PQR is it true that whenever a new WPS/PQR is written, a sample must be lab tested and documented (tensile & guided bend)? A weld inspector told be that each PQR had to be independently tested. This can be quite costly, esp. if there are multiple PQR's.

With the exception of prequalified WPS' each PQR must be tested. Whether you perform the tests or contract it to a lab doesn't matter, but, the tests must be performed.

Hello again.
I have a question regarding the use of backing rings. If the welder qualified on 2" dia. sch. 80 pipe (SA-106) using 6010/7018 w/o backing, would he have to re-qualify if backing is used? No changes to any other variables. It seems that on the WPQ under the column "Range Qualified" the use of backing is included.

Thanks for your assistance.

No requalification required.
See QW 353 / QW 402.4
Deletion of backing is an essential variable, not the addition of backing.
Regards,
Kiwi

Additional WPS/PQR Questions:

1. If a welder qualifies on GTAW P-1 to P-1 using ER70S-2 and qualifies on SMAW P-1 to P-1 using E8018-C3, would he automatically qualify on a GTAW/SMAW P-1 to P-1 using ER70S-2 root/E8010-C3 cover?
2. If a welder qualifies on SMAW P-1 to P-1 using E6010/E7018, would he also qualify on P-8 to P-1 (all other variables unchanged)?

What I'm trying to determine is whether or not a welder can qualify for multiple procedures.

Trying to interpret ASME Sec IX can be challenging at times! Thanks for your assistance.

sb1999kb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back