WPS and PQR for 316L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youskach

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2020
BE
Hi

i need in unrgent some WPS for pipe SS 316L Thk 2mm for all range of diameter and for large diametrer 3 mm

please

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you currently have?
Can expand that?
Or go back to however generated it and get them to do it?
You can find generic ones, but you would still have to revise it and do the qualification.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

a client ask me for WPS for the project urgently
i don't have and i don't have how to write them so i need some ones to use it

What were you going to do for the welding?
Just guess?
Aren't you process and welders all qualified according to ASME?

This is not a good thing to need "urgently" as the qualification can take some time and thought.
I think there are some pre-qualified procedures available, but I don't know if they cover that or similar applications.
One thing to do is contact the people that will actually do the welding, and find out what preferences, skills, and equipment they have to work with. Also consider whether the work is shop or field, or can be rotated or not. No point in fetching up some random WPS if it uses equipment they don't have or skills they haven't mastered.
Manufacturers of welding consumables and equipment will generally have some idea of how to weld just about anything as well.
At some point, somebody that does know how to write-up/copy the WPS will need to get involved as well.
When qualifying a procedure, it's helpful to try to work the variables and testing to qualify as wide a range as possible for future use.
Depending on the circumstances, it may be easier to subcontract the welding than to do the qualifications.
If it's a non-code application, finding the right (good) welder may be all you need.
There are welding engineers and consultants out there as well.

And you should hope that he has valid documents.
After all that is part of what you are paying him for.
Unless of course you didn't spell that out and he was the low bidder.

We used the GTAW process for making these welds manually with 1/16" diameter filler but prefer automatic GTAW procedures without filler metal additions. The key for manual welding is power supplies that are highly stable at low currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back