WPS for SS 347H using 347 electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo1982

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2014
CL
Dear guys,
Has anybody had experience welding SS 347H using E347 electrodes? Specs of client strongly recommend to weld SS 347H using 347 electrodes.. but does anybody knows why?.. even E16-8-2 could be rejected… if someone knows about that could be a great help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, we have used E347 and ER347 to weld 347H tube material in our boilers for tube to tube butt welds with no issues. There is no H grade AWS filler metal specification for 347 because the increased carbon for the H grade would adversely effect weld metal performance.

Thanks metengr, well .. I have some wps from other projects and there was used the same electrode (E347).. My cline told me that E16-8-2 electrode had poor performance welding SS 347H.. I am not sure if you know something about this issue.. I am searching info on website if there are any literature which talks about that.

I have not used this filler metal for 347 tube material but it appears to be designed for the H Grade stainless steels and to avoid HAZ cracking in thickness >12mm for 347. I probably would not consider it for 347 because of the rather broad chemistry range versus a more matching filler metal (347).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back