Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WPS/PQR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon_har_dt

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2022
CL
Sorry, one person told me that this post it is fit better in this forum.

Hi! how are you guys? I hope you are doing well.
I want to ask a detail about a WPS/PQR my company has. I look in the forum, something that could hel p me, but i couldn't.
We have an ASME IX wps with 6010 on root and 7018 on fill and cap (on a 6" sch 40 pipe) so it's 4mm and 8mm of qualification for both, and by QW 202.2 fillet weld are also qualifed.
My questions are the following. By QW 451.4 and QW-452.6 fillet weld are qualified for all thickness and diameters. So for instance, if i want to weld a Ring Flange with 30mm thickness with fillet weld, it would fall into the qualification?
On the other hand, the 6010 weld it doesn't use on fillet weld. So can I use only 7018 for the fillet weld in the same WPS/PQR? if not, how can i qualify a WPS/PQR for fillet weld with 7018 qualifying as a root pass? or does it just have to qualify as a pure fillet weld?

I would appreciate any answer given

Thankyou

L.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you look at QW-200.4, it tells you that when following a WPS with multiple processes, you can use each individually.
Then QW-202.2 (c) and Table QW-451.4 tells you that you fillet welds are qualified for all sizes and diameters.
Fillet welds can only be qualified by welding a groove weld coupon. Fillet weld qualification by fillet weld test is only good for non-pressure welds.

1)You can use 7018 for the fillet weld in the same WPS/PQR.As joint geometry of fillet welds doesn't need root welding(6010).Normally 6010 used in piping's where both sides welding not possible.

2)you can qualify a WPS/PQR for fillet weld with 7018 both for root and filler passes as per ASME Section IX fillet weld procedure qualification.

I assume you are weld the flange for pressure component.
What is the required code for construction?. Pressure Vessel or pipe?.
Always I specified that fillet weld made on pressure component must be by a qualified welder for Butt Weld.

I discovered some irregular situation in the shop (I as inspector): welder qualified for fillet weld was welding a lifting lug for vertical pressure vessel. Not allowed !!

I assume you are welding the flange for a piece of equipment under pressure.
What is the code required for construction? Pressure vessel or piping?
I have always specified that fillet weld done on a pressure component should be done by a qualified welder for Butt Weld

I discovered an irregular situation in the shop (me as inspector): a welder qualified for fillet weld was welding a lifting lug for a vertical pressure vessel. Not allowed !!

Be careful

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back