Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPS Requalification API 1104

Status
Not open for further replies.

perruolo

Petroleum
Mar 22, 2012
SA
Gents

I wonder how to interpret the changes on the essentials variables which require the requalification of the WPS. For instance: Statements like "Major increase" of flow rate; An "Increase" of time between passes; A "change" in the speed travel; A "decrease" of the minimum pre heat temperature. It is not specified a value. When should I consider a major change????? If time between passes "Increase" 1 seg, or the Pre-heat temp "decrease" 1°C should the WPS be requalified?? of course I am exaggerating.

I appreciate any suggestion

Regards

Miguel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PRCI published a document where their interpretation of a major increase in flow rate was +/- 20 % was considered reasonable.

An increase in time between completion of root and start of hot pass should be self explanatory.

For travel speed, their interpretation was that the travel speed shown on the WPS should be no more than +/- 20 % from the median recorded PQR value. The specified range should reflect the minimum and maximum values that produce an acceptable weld.

For decrease in preheat, if you can measure a one degree difference.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back