WPS used by Sub contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giuseppe76

Materials
Jul 16, 2009
FR
Hi all,

I have a question concerning possibility to use WPS/WPQR qualified in one factory and send to be used in a another (subcontractor) factory.
This is a pipe-to-forged weld as per ISO 13847 Petroleum and natural gas Welding of pipelines 2000.
Can i allow my sub-contractor to use one of my WPSs in their factory? do i have to send my welding engineer and/or my qualified welders for this WPS in sub-contractor factory?
Has anyone got experiences on that?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is ASME IX - No

If it is EN ISO 15614.1 - see below

8.2 Related to the manufacturer
A qualification of a pWPS by a welding procedure test according to this standard obtained by a manufacturer is
valid for welding in workshops or sites under the same technical and quality control of the manufacturer.
Welding is under the same technical and quality control when the manufacturer who performed the welding
procedure test retains complete responsibility for all welding carried out to it.

Based on the last line above you would be taking complete responsibility for all welding carried out by the sub-contractor - could be an expensive exercise if things go wrong.
Cheers,
DD

Thanks both.
In my case welding is in line with ISO 13847 Petroleum and natural gas industries — Pipeline transportation systems — Welding of pipelines, which do not forbid to transfer WPS to a sub-contractor, even if highlight that "shall be treated with extreme caution", section 7.6.2.
I think is possible but with high risk for responsibility and only if welding is carried out in "workshops and sites under the same technical and quality control of manufacturer", ISO 15614-1 Section 8.2

Rgds
Giuseppe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back