Status
Not open for further replies.

Faree

Petroleum
Nov 15, 2011
PK
Respected experts!

please give your kind opinion on following matter:

I want to run a WQT as per ASME IX, what is the acceptance criteria for a WQT with reference.
As per my understanding to qualify a WQT both options from following must be satisfied per QW 304.1:

a) Visual acceptance
b) Mechanical or volumetric testing

But what will be the acceptance criteria for visual per ASME IX. as QW 304.1 do not refer any clause for visual acceptance criteria. will it be QW 194?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Faree
By WQT, do you mean a Welder Qualification Test? Section IX refers to this as a WPQ or Welder Performance Qualification. If so see QW-144 & QW-194.

The acceptance criteria is mentioned in QW 194. However the construction code visual inspection acceptance criteria to be fulfilled in addition(recommendation only)

Faree said:
a) Visual acceptance
b) Mechanical or volumetric testing

This needs correction. QW-304.1 requires:

a) Visual and Mechanical Testing -OR-
b) Volumetric Testing - Visual not required

If you choose a) then that leads you to QW-302.4 for visual requirements, which leads you to QW-194 for acceptance criteria.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

QW-320 & 321 provides this information, which is summarised below: Immediate Retest Using Visual Examination A welder who fails to satisfy the visual examination criteria for a welded test coupon is allowed an immediate retest but must make two consecutive test coupons, for each test position failed, and both must satisfy the visual examination criteria. Why are we doing a visual when can just do a volumetric test. No visual exam needed on test coupons if you are going to perform a volumetric, really? Am I missing something here.

I always included visual examination during and after the welder qualification. If a welder cannot make an acceptable root pass on a pipe weld qualification, why would I want him/her to make production welds? The purpose of welder qualification testing should be to assure his/her capability to make sound production welds, not just to put another body on the payroll. I've seen cases where management simply wanted more welders because they did not have enough manpower and visual examinations were relaxed and the repair rate skyrocketed. With multiple rejections requiring welder terminations, additional welder testing costs were also incurred.

I agree that visual testing should be done. However, in this case, it is in fact not a shall. That is, when performing volumetric testing.

gtaw made a very excellent post about this double posted question.

I completely agree with his sentiments:

1. ASME IX Visual Acceptance Criteria is sparse at best.
2. The code of construction Visual Acceptance Criteria is better, and should be used.
3. This practice should be agreed upon by all parties.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Wow, everybody seems to be onboard with this one, that's great. Although the code is a little lacking in visual inspection criteria, my company uses approved welding specifications / standards that are a little above the code requirements for welding and rest assured that visual weld inspection criteria from the test shop to the field is thouroughly addressed for all welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back