Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrap a curve to a splined surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebuchter

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2010
US
I am trying to wrap a curve onto a Spline surface. It is not allowing me to select the surface. I am able to select a true curved surface so I am not sure if a Spline surface would work. I am using NX 5.0.6.

Thanks, Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 'Wrap Curve' function ONLY allows the selection of Cylindrical and Conical surfaces as the target surface.

Now as a way of getting a close approximation, if the 'free-form surface' is such that you could create either a Cylinder or Cone shape which would be close to the size and shape of the final surface, the create an appropriately sized Cylinder or Cone positioned so that it closely matches the shape of the free-form surface. Now wrap your curve(s) to the Cylinder/Cone and then using this wrapped curve(s), project them onto the final surface using the normal direction option. Granted, it's not exact, but if you create an appropriately sized and positioned cylinder/cone, this can be very close for most of the workflows which require this sort of result.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I would agree with John. I've done that many times and it almost always works very well. The only times I've had trouble is if the surface is really funky and I can't make a good approximation.

Mike

Is it possible to go back the other way?
By this I mean starting with a 'free-form surface'. Sketching (projecting) some curves onto it. And then 'unwraping' these curves onto a flat surface.

I have a similar conundrum to face later this week where I need to wrap a flexible PCB around a moulding.
I'm just wondering whether I can give the PCB designers a DXF of what I want, rather than them suggesting what I can have (ie stop the tail wagging the dog [thumbsup2])

This is possible with Metaform (insert-sheet metal feature-metaform). We need this function very often in shipbuilding to unroll double curved plates.

Felix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back